Adele: Who is This Talent?

Childhood and Teen

Her full name is Adele Laurie Blue Adkins, and she was born in Tottenham, London, England, to a teenage single mother on May 5 1988. She began to sing at the age of four and cited that the Spice Girls were a major influence to supporting and gaining her passion for music. She even impersonated them at parties as a young girl. At 11, her family moved to West Norwood, South London where it inspired her at 16, to write her first record Hometown Glory, moving also inspired her to become interested into R&B artists such as Aaliyah, Destiny's Child and Mary J. Blige. Adele once put that watching a Pink concert really inspired her and was a defining moment in her life.

She said "It was the Missundaztood record, so I was about 13 or 14. I had never heard, being in the room, someone sing like that live [...] I remember sort of feeling like I was in a wind tunnel, her voice just hitting me. It was incredible."

The Beginning

After high school, Adele graduated from The BRIT School for Performing Arts & Technology, which she credits the school for supporting and nurturing her talent. In the beginning, she didn't have an interest in becoming an artist but going into the A&R, in hopes to launch others peoples careers.

She would later record a 3 song demo for a class project, which she gave to her friend. Her friend would eventually post the songs on Myspace, the songs became a campus hit and lead to a phone call from XL Recordings. At first she thought it was a joke because Virgin Records was the only record company she had heard of.

On June 2006, Jonathan Dickins became her official representative and in September 2006, Huggett signed Adele to XL. This was the beginning of Adele and her wonderful career. Adele would go on to release her high school song "Hometown Glory" in October 2007.

19 and 21

The album 19, was released in 2008 and was number two on the UK charts and stayed there for four weeks, and would be nominated for a Mercury Prize. She would then win an Urban Music Award for "Best Jazz Act" and receive a nomination for a Q Awards for best break through act. The album was so big it was certified for gold on February 2009 by the Recording Industry Association of America. By the time it was the summer of 2009 the record had sold over 2.2 million copies worldwide.

Then on January 24, 2011, The album 21 would be released in the UK then released in the US, February 22. This album was a huge hit world wide, landing number one on charts in 18 countries, with her singles like "Rolling in the Deep" and "Someone Like You" this album was a master piece indeed. This album was a huge sound change from her last album, 21 had more of a country and contemporary roots sound to it. Adele cited this was to blame on her tour bus driver who played Nashville music while she toured with 19.

She said "It was really exciting for me because I never grew up around [that music]."

"Rolling in the Deep" reached number one on the charts in 8 countrys, and broke the US record of most money made and sold for a single in one year, making 4.825 million digital copies sold in the US. "Someone Like You" broke a UK record by first song to sell over a million records in a decade. Her tour, Adele Live, sold out on its North American leg, though she was forced to cancel two tours because of a vocal cord hemorrhage.

She simply states "I have absolutely no choice but to recuperate properly and fully, or I risk damaging my voice forever."

Adele is simply a master piece of her time, her explosive vocals and deep poetic songs signify that if she stays on the road she's on, she'll become a music legend. Stay strong Adele and you'll go far.

"I want to write it all, record it all, produce it all and master it on my own. I think it'll take a lot longer because I want to do it this way"

Latest articles