Bizarre Misspelling

Bizarre Misspelling The lake whose name you can see in the photograph, really does exist; and has existed for years. It’s situated in Webster, Massachusetts. Also known as Webster Lake due to its hard to pronounce name, it has become a topic to be discussed.

The 45 letter name was misspelled. Instead of having a “U” at letter 20, it has “O”, while at letter 38 it has “H” instead of an “N”. The mistake was found by officials in Webster researching historical books. They promised to correct the error.

The Indian name which means “The fishing place at the boundaries, the neutral meeting ground” is one of the world’s longest words. Even though the residents mostly refer to it as Webster Lake, it has one more way of spelling – Chaubunagungamaug and that version is recognized by the U.S. Department of the Interior. Throughout history it represented an important fishing place and kept changing its name. For a while it was named “Chabanaguncamogue” and “Chaubanagogum”, yet always having the same meaning.

Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg has sat on the 6th place on the list of the longest place names in the world. Number one is proudly taken by the hill in New Zealand that you just can’t pronounce - it consists of 85 letters. Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, with its 51 letters, holds the second position. It is actually a famous name of a town on Anglesey, an island of Wales.

Latest articles