Former Child Pilot Commits Suicide

Former Child Pilot Commits Suicide During the 1990s, Vicki Van Meter was known as a record setting child star for her accomplishments related to piloting. At one point during her life, she held the record for being the youngest pilot to fly across the United States at only the age of 12 in 1993. In 1994 she became the youngest female pilot to make a trans-Atlantic flight, flying from Augusta, Maine all the way to Scotland. Unfortunately, she won't have any more opportunities to set new records.

On Saturday March 15, 2008 Vicki was found dead in her home in Meadville, Pennsylvania. Her death was ruled as a suicide by the Crawford County coroner, caused by a self inflicted gunshot wound to the head.

Her brother told officials that she had been struggling with depression for quite some time. However, other family members released statements claiming they thought she was coping with her problems in a healthy manner. Vicki had opposition to taking medication for her depression and was on no antidepressants around the time of her suicide. Vicki was only 26 years old.

Funeral arrangements are in the process of being made. No date or time has been made final, but it has been confirmed that her funeral will be held in her town of Meadville, Pennsylvania.

Latest articles