"They Saved My Life" - An Overrated Phenomenon - Comments

  • Sara

    Sara (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Canada
    "flush it all down the drain."


    ...how do you flush something down a drain?
    September 24th, 2008 at 03:20am
  • Fortune.

    Fortune. (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    It’s the lyrics and what the band members say.

    I’m a really big fan, but I agree the ‘real fan’ thing is nonsense. Who cares about what everyone else thinks of them. If you like them then good, that’s all you have to worry about. If you don’t, that’s fine, everyone has different tastes.

    The whole “MCR saved my life” thing is overrated. I mean, I hear it everywhere, and when things are used to much –especial words- they get annoying after a while. Though

    I agree they saved my life in a way. If it weren’t for them I’d be just really bored and not wanting to do anything. To me, that’s not living, it’s merely existing –there’s no life in you. Maybe what some people mean is that MCR saved their life mentally. Or maybe it’s their cuteness (not my approach though. I like them for their music).

    Anyways, let’s just be glad MCR is here and celebrate MCR day on July 23
    September 24th, 2008 at 03:17am
  • NathanL.ovesME

    NathanL.ovesME (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I don't think that when they say that they want to save lives that they mean it in a literal sense, like saying, "I want to be a doctor and save lives." If they really wanted to save lives in that sense, they would've become doctors, or fire fighters, or things such as that.
    But, I don't think that you have to save someone physically in order to save them. If you are strong mentally, then you should be able to think through what is happening to yourself physically, like if you were caught in a life threating situation, and make a decision on what to do about it.
    'MCR saved my life' is true. And I don't think it's just their lyrics that help people, if you listen to their interviews and find out about them as individuals, I think it also gives you some strength. It makes you feel like you're not alone and that someone understands you, even if you don't know them and they don't know you.
    September 24th, 2008 at 02:50am
  • Oceanti

    Oceanti (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    I just think some people need to get over the fact of MCR. I mean I am a fan but It just gets annoying with those whole "REAL MCR FANS...." Honestly there are a bunch of other bands out there, Flyleaf for one practically "saved my life", there's Three Days Grace, UnderOATH , Eyes Set To Kill and Chiodos is also simply amazing(Craig owens suicide attemps,anxiety pushing it through) I just dont think enough bands get enough credit for their work too. I have no means of hating on My Chemical Romance I just think there's many other bands.
    September 24th, 2008 at 02:48am
  • Chain Me Free

    Chain Me Free (130)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    [i]"Not physicaly, but mentally for sure. They can totally change your outlook on something. Always for the better though, I do not think that bands can kill you; that is bull shit there is no way they can make you kill yourself maybe help you save youself but never help convince you to kill yourself. Depression and suicide is way more complicated than that.
    It's like listening to Gloomy Sunday and saying, "My life doesn't matter anymore, I should probably die..."
    But I totally believe that you can listen to a song like The Black Parade and saying, "You know what? I think that what I wanted to do was stupid and I should probably talk to someone about it."

    I know it's not that simple but music can totally influence good thoughts on good things."[/i] ~ Melissa [CardiacArrest]

    I posted that in the [i]Can Bands Truly Save Lives[/i] Forum. I still believe in that. :D
    September 24th, 2008 at 02:45am
  • o rly?

    o rly? (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    I kind of get annoyed with the whole "they did NOT save your life" argument. I mean, when people say that, they're saying it in figuratively, not literally...


    Great article. :)
    September 24th, 2008 at 02:33am
  • LeandraLoco-motion

    LeandraLoco-motion (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    I love My Chemical Romance and I used to be a bit obsessed with them, but not anymore and not for any particular reason.
    Their lyrics were awesome but they never once moved me or "saved my life."
    I understand how people can say that though. But these days, I'm pretty sure everyone is just saying it for the hell of it.
    September 24th, 2008 at 02:31am
  • Leonore Paisley

    Leonore Paisley (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    39
    Location:
    United States
    MCR is a band.

    A group of five people that you more than likely have never met and have never said one inspiring word [i]directly to you.[/i]

    They didn't save anyone's life unless they pulled someone out of a burning building or personally talked them out of suicide.

    You saved your own life, I saved my own life. Give yourselves some credit.
    September 24th, 2008 at 02:16am
  • avenge my ghost

    avenge my ghost (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    ugh, people need to stop bashing MCR and their fans.
    i am a fan, i believe they have great lyrics, but i have never once said they saved my life. doesnt mean i think its "overrated" that others do.
    let people think what they want.
    :D
    September 24th, 2008 at 02:04am
  • asteroid

    asteroid (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    Physically, bands don't save lives unless it's that rare, one-in-a-trillion situation where the band is actually there (this can happen, I do not deny it.)

    Mentally, they work miracles. They really do.
    September 24th, 2008 at 01:42am
  • Middleman.

    Middleman. (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    Well I would never claim MCR saved my life BECAUSE in my eyes, they arent the people who pull the gun or razor or whatever out of your hands. It really is up to you... However, i'm sure their lyrics have helped some people through rough times.

    I'm not perfect, i had a hard life so far and I did what a lot of teens do. and to this day still struggle with... I considered the option of suicide. Sure 'famous last words' came on my iPod while thinking about it and it did help me but that alone isnt what stopping me. I'll tell you what is though. My [i]friend(s)[/i] If I go i know for a fact they're going to be hurting for a longg time. It would seem greedy to do such a horrible thing! If it werent' for that I would have never closed the bottle to the sleeping pill container.

    Hope my opinion helped. ^.^ ~Rachel
    September 24th, 2008 at 01:34am
  • Greese Lightning

    Greese Lightning (350)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    Canada
    Personally, it's neither win or fail for me.
    This is subject that will keep on happening. You share your views, I share mine.
    My Chemical Romance didn't save my life, they just inspired me to save my own.
    Same with Green Day.
    Four years earlier.


    If you know what I mean.
    And thanks for the spelling errors, I'm trying to edit this article now.
    :)
    September 24th, 2008 at 01:22am
  • tyler joseph.

    tyler joseph. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    I think music has the power to impact a lot of people. As for saving lives, that's a matter of opinion. Jinxeh hit the nail on the head, so I agree with her.

    Me, personally, My Chemical Romance didn't save my life. They make somewhat of an impact, though. Whenever I felt alone, or was going through a particularly rough patch in life, I always knew their music would be there no matter what, and that was comforting. So they helped me in some way, but they certainly can't take all the credit. (If anyone "saved" me, then it was my mother and my best friend.)

    I'm not going to disagree with anybody if they tell me a band or music in general saved their life. Who the hell am I to judge, y'know?

    At one point I said that the band Aiden saved my life, but after thinking about it, I realized it wasn't entirely true. They didn't tell me personally to stop hurting myself, but they made an impact, and their music makes me very happy, which is why they're so important to me. People could feel the same way about any artist.

    Great article (but you spelled guillotine wrong). =]
    September 24th, 2008 at 01:21am
  • gleek

    gleek (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    This is a fine article and I really have no opinion on the subject, but you spelled guillotine wrong.
    September 24th, 2008 at 12:29am
  • Olivia Colby

    Olivia Colby (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    Now I get where you're coming from. Too many people definitely claim to have been saved, when indeed they weren't. But I do know that yes they in a way have saved a life. One of my best friends lives to be exact. Her mother was beating her, her family was in deep financial trouble, she had just learned the real reason her parents were divorced, and she was going to kill herself with a razor. She decided to listen to one last song, and she chose Famous Last Words. Had it not been for that song, she wouldn't have been anything more to me than a person. She was in counseling, because of course it only made her stay alive for that time period, and now she's working her life back.

    People do say that too much though, and I never will, because they didn't. But they did save a friend, and their music is so much to me. I owe them. I really wish less people would say they saved their lives, though. So I agree for the most part.
    September 24th, 2008 at 12:17am
  • dead.dead.darling.

    dead.dead.darling. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    Well I wouldn't say they saved my life.
    I would say that
    They helped me through some tough times.
    Not the actual band members
    But the music and lyrics
    It encouraged me not to give up
    To face my fears instead of just run.
    This article was really well done.
    It brings up a good point.
    Nice job. :]]
    September 23rd, 2008 at 11:53pm
  • Hellcat

    Hellcat (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    102
    Location:
    Bulgaria
    You spelt "phrase" & "guillotine" wrong.
    September 23rd, 2008 at 11:44pm
  • nikkinightmare

    nikkinightmare (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    Music cannot save lives. It's that simple. While music can sometimes distract you from things going on in the world around you, it will not save your life. You have to be the one to realize that cutting yourself is wrong, or whatever the case may be. It does annoy me when people say that music saved their lives.
    September 23rd, 2008 at 11:37pm
  • inaneedle

    inaneedle (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    Sweden
    I think that this is a great article and I totally agree with everything you wrote.
    September 23rd, 2008 at 11:32pm
  • ZombieBunnyKILL

    ZombieBunnyKILL (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    [b]My Chemical Romance did not save my life.[/b] But for the first two years of being a fan of theirs, I ran around saying they did.
    I had depression when I first started listening to them, and they didn't stop me from cutting myself.
    And I stopped listening to them recently (I burnt out), but when I do hear the lyrics, I tend to forget how deep they are.
    September 23rd, 2008 at 11:21pm