"They Saved My Life" - An Overrated Phenomenon - Comments

  • electricgirls.

    electricgirls. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    I think what bands do is this: they "save" your life by showing you the hope and confidence you already had in yourself but you were just too tired to bother to see. They just point out and rebuild what is already there, just decayed.
    September 23rd, 2008 at 11:17pm
  • Blooregard Q. Kazoo

    Blooregard Q. Kazoo (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    Some people can just see it.
    And imagine it.
    I don't know how else to put it, but they're trying to put the message out there;

    You're important, you're loved.
    September 23rd, 2008 at 10:59pm
  • Zayla Starr

    Zayla Starr (250)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    *claps*

    Just the title made me smile. Sure, there might be SOME people who have had their lives saved by their music... But surely not everyone that says that can actually have had their lives saved?!
    September 23rd, 2008 at 10:08pm
  • x_dead_x

    x_dead_x (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    I will admit, I became a MCR fan quite quick. I heard one song and I wanted to hear the rest. This was because I like the music. Around where I live there a lot of girls who say "you saved my life gerard way" then two minutes later "MARRY ME GERARD!!" to me, these are fan girls/teenies and it annoys me. Yes they're good looking guys but so what. It's not about the band it's about the music they make. They probably do tell us something in their lyrics but you're right they don't actually come up to you and say "hey don't kill yourself, it's not worth it."
    September 23rd, 2008 at 10:00pm
  • Jinxeh

    Jinxeh (805)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    35
    Location:
    United States
    I agree 100% that in at least nine out of ten instances where someone claims that MCR saved their life, the person claiming this is either doing it just to fit in with the trend, or believes it even though it isn’t true. That’s more than easy to see. I have no problem admitting this. However, the problem I have with it is that people seem to think it’s a [i]bad[/i] thing, if people like to think MCR saved their life (even if they didn’t) to make themselves happy. Does it hurt you in any way, when someone makes that claim and it isn’t true? Does a masked stranger invade your home and hold a gun to your head whenever a squealing girl screams she couldn’t have made it without those five musicians? No? Then why do you care so much?

    (If a masked stranger [i]does[/i] invade your home and hold a gun to your head whenever a girl exclaims as such, you have my apologies, of course. And the promise that I’ll send roses to your grave—because honestly, with as often as the whole “MCR saved my life!” thing happens, if someone concurrently holds a gun to your head each time, you’re most certainly dead by now.)

    You’re forgetting the reason these people say that MCR saved their life in the first place. It makes them happy. Think about it. Undoubtedly, some of these people really do think that this band saved their life. If by thinking so, that person is consequently happier, and their quality of life therefore [i]improves[/i]…why the [i]hell[/i] should anyone have a problem with it? It isn’t hurting anyone, as annoying as it sometimes might be, and in fact only helps other people.

    MCR didn’t save my life, if anyone is wondering. I saved my own life, with the help of the little things that made me happy and gave me small dosages of hope along the way. I have no doubt that MCR played their part in this, however small, but I can’t give them all the credit, or even a significant percentage of it. They do, however, make me happy. And that’s what counts.

    So the gist of it is this: Sure, MCR probably didn’t save the life of the many people who claim they did. But it doesn’t hurt you personally whenever they claim it anyway, and in fact only makes those other people happy. And I don’t have anything against people being happy. Do you?
    September 23rd, 2008 at 09:30pm
  • TheHeroinDiaries

    TheHeroinDiaries (105)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I do have to say they can save lives. BECAUSE. It doesn't matter if it's emotionally or physical. MCR did save my life emotionally, and I thank them everyday for that.

    I think it's up to the person to decided whether or not bands saving lives is possible.

    My opinion, it is :]

    Great article by the way.
    September 23rd, 2008 at 09:14pm
  • Steffy Michelle

    Steffy Michelle (500)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    They don't save life's. They might help with saving life's, but they never really saved one if you ask me.
    But then again, it's not like I know anything about my chemical romance. I've never liked them so I don't know any song except for the ones that come on the tellie. So I'm not the one to judge.
    I could never think that music would save my life.
    September 23rd, 2008 at 09:12pm
  • William Beckett.

    William Beckett. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    Good article :]
    September 23rd, 2008 at 08:33pm
  • William Beckett.

    William Beckett. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    All right. No they never have saved me from a burning building. They have never physically "saved a life", but to me, emotinal pain is a lot worse than physical. If I didn't have My Chemical Romance, I'd probably be over there cutting my veins open like I used to be. But I'm not. Because they're right: violence is NEVER the answer, and there is ALWAYS hope. And I do not enjoy listening to bands that tell me otherwise. *cough*Slipknot*cough*

    So yes, I can say that MCR HAS saved my life in every sense of the word. The music litterally keeps me sane.
    September 23rd, 2008 at 08:32pm
  • It's In The Blood.

    It's In The Blood. (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    I think it's just totally amazingly not worth debating. Debating it only leads to those very annoying people saying that it is not at all in any way possible and everyone who believes it is a 13-year-old emo.

    These people annoy me. Believe what you like, I honestly don't think the band care. They think what they like, after all.
    September 23rd, 2008 at 07:42pm
  • Ciel Phantomhive.

    Ciel Phantomhive. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    I feel Bands can save your life, even if they didn't physically pull you out the way of a car or what not.

    But they put the idea in your head that you're worth something, thus inspiring you. So even if you may had, in all techinicalities, saved your own life, as such, the source was the band that placed the idea in yoru head.


    I liked this article, well done.
    September 23rd, 2008 at 07:26pm
  • mcrgdjunkie

    mcrgdjunkie (255)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    25
    Location:
    United States
    Yes, I also agree with you when you say they can’t physically be there to stop you when the thoughts of giving up and ending it all become strong and wanted, but emotionally and lyrically they can give you hope and actually mean it whenever they say, “Yeah, we were in the same position as you at one point in our lives. But we got through it, and if we did you can also if you just believe.”

    Hope is what My Chemical Romance is trying to give to our pressured generation. They might not be able to save every last living soul on this earth, but they can at least show a few that they’re not ready to give up.

    I’m not really like every other teen out there right now. Although, loneliness has played huge role in my life and MCR helped to make me feel like I had someone sitting right there next to me and listening to my problems, and secrets.
    September 23rd, 2008 at 07:08pm
  • Ambny

    Ambny (160)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    I agree with you in a sense, but in all actuality MCR did save my life.

    In Middle school, I was actually living in my personal hell on earth. The teachers made me feel worthless and the kids excluded me from everything and they all looked at me like I shouldn't be living. It hit me hard and I became depressed, and started considering suicide and I was planning it out in my head.

    I remember I was listening MCR one day and I started concentrating on the lyrics, from the 1st and 2nd Cd. The lyrics Gerard Way wrote made me realize that I am important and not to give a fuck about what other people think about me. I can be what ever I want to be...

    One day I wish to thank them for that, because even now It hard talking about that, and its hard to think about, but they got me through it, and I will forever be grateful.
    September 23rd, 2008 at 06:49pm
  • Psyche Adrenaline

    Psyche Adrenaline (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    I agree with everything Vanya Hargreeves said.
    September 23rd, 2008 at 06:46pm
  • Vanya Hargreeves.

    Vanya Hargreeves. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    This is a very well written article :)
    Well done for that.

    I've never, ever said those words ''My Chemical Romance saved my life'' because, quite frankly, they didn't. I think it's overrated, overused and cheap.

    I agree with what you've said about them never physically stopping you, but they do help you realised you're worth something. They've helped me find who I am, and I'm happy.
    September 23rd, 2008 at 06:24pm
  • dead!insomniaque

    dead!insomniaque (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    Personally, I didn't even read the article, sorry, but I'm just really tired of all these articles about nothing. This issue has been brought up millions of times before, and I think it's time to just give it a rest.
    September 23rd, 2008 at 05:51pm
  • strange.

    strange. (310)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    God knows I love 'em, but they didn't save my life.
    But then again, it's never really needed saving..
    September 23rd, 2008 at 05:41pm
  • Zombie.Highway

    Zombie.Highway (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    35
    Location:
    United States
    I think its really better to say something to the affect that, "they changed your life." because that can be for the good or bad. Just a thought.
    September 23rd, 2008 at 05:34pm
  • xXGreyWingsXx

    xXGreyWingsXx (850)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    I find it silly when someone accuses MCR of making their child depressed. They do have some very empowering lyrics, some of which you just quoted, and there is always an exception, though correlations shouldn't be drawn to hastily. Just because someone was listening to MCR before they committed suicide doesn't mean it was their fault. Just the same as the fact that their last meal contained brussel sprouts, doesn't mean they're the devils food...
    Though they are fairly disgusiting...
    September 23rd, 2008 at 04:50pm
  • quinn.

    quinn. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Location:
    Australia
    It gets chucked around so much now, it's kindof lost meaning.
    I dont believe that mcr has really saved that many lives. Sure they help people, might even give you a bit of a shove in the right direction every now and then, but in the end they are not forcing you to back away from the edge of a building.
    Seriously guys, get a grip.
    September 23rd, 2008 at 04:47pm