"They Saved My Life" - An Overrated Phenomenon - Comments

  • Inkweaver

    Inkweaver (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Neutral Zone
    Well written ^___^
    September 23rd, 2008 at 04:38pm
  • cardigan weather.

    cardigan weather. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    Philippines
    I gotta say; I...really wasn't expecting this to read at all. But I was reflecting my past; I lost my grandmother, I got grounded for a year, and other loads of shit I've gone through. Yet I never thought that this would happen. Yes I've been saying almost everyday last year that "My Chemical Romance saved my life." but I never really thought that I do have a life to handle. A life that I said I hated it.

    A million times I always thought that I wanted to end my life but then I realized that since the day my boyfriend came into my life, I...started to live like my old self. I really didn't meant that I want to commit suicide but instead I kept thinking of that nothing will ever happen to me when I passed away. Yet I urged myself to be addicted to MCR and their saying "This band will save your life." thing and I lived the way I used to live.

    I was certainly happy until I discovered My Chemical Romance. I became (or what other teenagers/young people call) emo. But I really wasn't a pure emo. I didn't really like the style. I do believe that MCR isn't emo. But nevertheless I can't understand why they keep saying "This band will save your life." But then the question that always gets into my mind is that; "How does music or MCR saves lives?" and not even a single word came in for an answer.

    And what I feel right now, I feel like I'm being pushed to live my life, love MCR or not, I value and love my life. I won't pull the plug I held on for 11 years until the one who made me tells me so.

    I like this article btw. =) I hope what I've said isn't that harsh (or something like that...xD). And I do hope that this is the most awkward comment I ever commented anyone in my whole entire life.
    September 23rd, 2008 at 03:49pm
  • kafka.

    kafka. (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    Therapy doesn't save you ''physically'' either?
    -rolls eyes-
    September 23rd, 2008 at 03:06pm
  • AlternativeAdele

    AlternativeAdele (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    Australia
    I've said this to others who have said physically they dont stop you from suicide but for me they have, I have met bands while in deep depression and their kind words and hugs and caring looks give you hope, I exchange emails with a few bands and it keeps me going even when I feel dead inside, I have saved a friends life by taking them to see their favourite band and getting to meet them, just the words they gave to my mate saved his life and without them I would be without him.
    [i]You are an amazing person, because you are you[/i]
    That sentence coming from your inspiration or idol can save you and it has for many. Now I agree that most of the time they wont stop you from pulling the trigger or anything but its the mental and emotional connection you make to them though their music that saves you and gives you hope. I am not exaggerating when I say music saved my life because without it as a connection to others like me I would have killed myself.
    You have your views, I have mine but to me a band has, can and will save lives. Not just MCR but many others, I personally would not have made it though the past week without HIM, Guns N Roses and Tokio Hotel so yeah. That's my opinion and life so whatever. I believe they saved me, so I thank them everyday I'm alive.
    September 23rd, 2008 at 02:35pm
  • Empathy

    Empathy (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    I remember one night when everything felt too much, and MCR came on my itunes that I found myself saying "Go on, save me now. I need to be saved now."

    And you know what happened?

    I realised that they weren't going to save my life. They were going to inspire me to save my own life, all by myself. Like you said, lyrics like "I am not afraid to keep on living, I am not afraid to walk this world alone" help you get through tough times. Because they help you believe you can get through those times by yourself, and come out fine on the other end.

    So personally, I think they HELP save lives, without actually personally saving them themselves. They give out the building blocks, and the rest is up to you.

    Good article, btw =]
    Hope my reply wasn't too crappy, haha.
    September 23rd, 2008 at 02:35pm