All Bands Are Sellouts - Comments

  • Isabella.

    Isabella. (550)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    This is beautifully written, big kudos to you.
    Yes, I agree with you though, I don't like the word 'sell outs' its overrated and Adam seemed to make a point and so did you and your friend Julie.
    I agree.
    December 17th, 2008 at 02:53am
  • Betrayed.

    Betrayed. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    United States
    i absolutely hate the word 'Sellout'. I never use it when talking about a band because I truly don't think bands [i]sellout[/i]. It's just the fact that more people discover them. I still listen to most of the bands that people consider sellouts.
    December 17th, 2008 at 02:49am
  • Laveau

    Laveau (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    What they're doing is not maturing. It's copying.
    December 16th, 2008 at 10:58pm
  • Laveau

    Laveau (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    One of the main reasons why people call bands like My Chemical Romance sell outs and fakes is because on The Black Parade they took the sound from other artists. All you have to do is go and listen to Pink Floyd, Queen, and Bowie, and you can hear it. Their music is completely unoriginal.
    December 16th, 2008 at 10:52pm
  • kelliskontagious

    kelliskontagious (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    United States
    amen.
    people change as they get older.
    and your tastes change.
    i've personally noticed that i dont listen to half of the stuff i used to be obbessed with a year ago.
    December 16th, 2008 at 07:30pm
  • William Beckett.

    William Beckett. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I seriously hate when people use the word "sell-out" because its usually not true.
    December 16th, 2008 at 04:29pm
  • murderxthexcase

    murderxthexcase (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    I agree with the point that some bands are classed as sellouts and others aren't. I mean, look at Jimmy Eat World. They're one of my favourite bands, they've been around for years, they've signed to a major label and they've had a lot of memorable singles - yet no-one calls them sell-outs. Their musical style hasn't changed incredibly either - they've stuck to what they're good at - really good at. Also, I have to say this - people in bands need to make a living. Look at it this way. (Kinda like good4nothing said) Being signed up to a major label is like getting a promotion with a pretty rad salary attached - you sceptics can't surely say you'd turn down a promotion like that?
    December 16th, 2008 at 01:17pm
  • Sailor Mouth

    Sailor Mouth (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    Apparently we're all sellouts.
    We all grow up, mature, and change.

    people are just ignorant.
    Bands can't always keep the same sound. If they did the brats would be complaining about how their records all sounded the same.
    December 15th, 2008 at 04:56pm
  • horsegirl535

    horsegirl535 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    I have one thing to say

    if all bands are sellouts....then no bands are sellouts.
    who defines what a sellout is?
    who was the first sellout...and how did they sell out to...well...the first sellout?
    December 12th, 2008 at 07:34am
  • Hatsune JWalk

    Hatsune JWalk (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    Canada
    I really disagree with this... I mean, how the hell are Avenged Sevenfold sellouts exactly? Just because they've changed? Come on! Every band is going to change eventually! If they didn't, we would be basically hearing the same thing over and over.

    And I agree with what YoungUrbanPsychopath stated. Sellout is thrown around WAY too much.
    December 11th, 2008 at 01:11am
  • Spanish Lullaby

    Spanish Lullaby (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    There's no such thing as selling out. It's called maturing and evolving as musicians. Music's not supposed to stay static.
    December 10th, 2008 at 05:39am
  • YoungUrbanPsychopath

    YoungUrbanPsychopath (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    Of course they're going to change. Maybe people like to listen to the exact same thing, but I'm sure musicians get tired of that after a while. Sellout is a word that is thrown around so easily when musicians are doing well. It's ridiculous.
    December 9th, 2008 at 07:24pm
  • good4nothing

    good4nothing (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    35
    Location:
    United States
    Someone once again..and I don't remember who...said that no one ever really sells out, it's more of just taking a promotion in the job. I agree with that alot.
    December 9th, 2008 at 07:26am
  • fen'harel

    fen'harel (560)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    Mexico
    I actually agree with your point of view; I mean, let's honestly look at this in one way: Which band says 'I'm gonna make music and not make a profit out of it'? Yeah...stupid. Bands need to live out of something, and the fact that they want to expand their domain and mature, doesn't make them sellouts. That is what they do! That's their profession! They live out of music and it's obvious that there will be a time when they'll move from a small record label, to a major one in order to have a future and to reach people out!
    December 8th, 2008 at 12:45am
  • pulmonary archery.

    pulmonary archery. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    I agree completely.

    Music changes. It would be boring if every album a band made was the same, so there's got to be progression. If that leads them to become widely popular, so be it! It doesn't mean they're a 'sellout' it just means theyre trying a new direction.

    Great article :]
    December 4th, 2008 at 12:31pm
  • draco_luv91088

    draco_luv91088 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    35
    Location:
    United States
    I totally agree with you. I have this argument with people every day over some of my favorite bands...do you expect the band to NEVER mature or change? That's just a naive thought. I'm glad somebody finally stepped up and spoke out on the topic.
    December 4th, 2008 at 07:59am
  • Aqua Crescent

    Aqua Crescent (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    103
    Location:
    Afghanistan
    I agree!
    December 4th, 2008 at 07:05am
  • livingcold

    livingcold (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    Great article but M. Shadows didn't stop screaming because he had some throat surgery. He stopped becaues he didn't want to scream anymore, it says it all in the all excess dvd.
    December 4th, 2008 at 04:52am
  • aloadedpen

    aloadedpen (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    so incredibly true, this is some amazing writing
    December 4th, 2008 at 03:19am
  • Dana Scully

    Dana Scully (450)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    My Chem., does not save lives.
    Those fans just jumped on the bandwagon. To feel like they fit in. They've not really been saved. In a way, their like the Jonas Brother fans, but of a different genre.
    Just as crazy, obsessive and overly zealous about them.
    I know, because I was a fan.

    Anyway, all bands are sellouts in fact.
    When they go from indie labels to major.

    But that's by default. Not that they're changing, but like I said by default.
    December 4th, 2008 at 01:41am