All Bands Are Sellouts - Comments

  • nikkinightmare

    nikkinightmare (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    This article was pretty good, but I don't think any band should be considered a sell out. It makes me crazy when people say they don't like a band anymore because they supposedly sold out or became mainstream. It's ridiculous.
    December 2nd, 2008 at 10:57pm
  • Berytni

    Berytni (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    Just because a band wants a bit of change means they're a sell out? WTF man?
    If all they cared about was making money....then all of the bands you listed would be sell outs. But earth to author: THEY'RE NOT!

    And the A7X part really pissed me off.
    A.) They WANTED to change their sound. It was a choice because they wanted to mature their sound.
    B.) Even if it was because of his vocal cords...isn't it a LITTLE selfish to say that it's OK to risk losing his voice by continuing screaming and getting what YOU want???
    o_0
    December 2nd, 2008 at 10:55pm
  • Ryou Bakura.

    Ryou Bakura. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Somewhat true, yes, but the thing is: This is a sweeping generalization by saying ALL bands are sellouts and, as well, you only stuck to one genre of music.
    Not all the 'sellouts' are belonging to the 'rock' side of music.
    There are pop sellouts, there are hip-hop sellouts and there are the so-called 'indie' sellouts.
    December 2nd, 2008 at 09:36pm
  • scribblerofdreamsxx

    scribblerofdreamsxx (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    this article is probably the most true one i have read on this site..

    i would however like to start out by saying... who the frig called Three Days Grace a sellout?!?! wtf?!?!?!??!!?!?! NO. u dont do that or i punch u. can u tell that they are one of my favorite bands?! they're the band that wen someone says whos ur favorite band i answer *insert fav name of band at moment here* and Three Days Grace..

    i completely agree with ur friend Julie.. we get older... we mature.... our favorite bands cant stay in their early 20's forver... as much as we would love that.. they wont... everyone grows up sometime... they keep they're original sound, but add a little bit more mature of a sound to it..

    GROW UP PEOPLE AND LOOK AROUND YOU! people get older everyday.. its something we have to live with.... even the gods we call our fav. band... they get older too...
    December 2nd, 2008 at 09:20pm
  • Steffy Michelle

    Steffy Michelle (500)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    First of all when I started reading this, I started thinking about if that's what music is about lately. Being sell outs, being wannabe that band, being some style, being anything. Since when is music about that? I think people should start paying more attention to the music itself rather than to the things around it.
    If you like their music, you listen to them. If you don't, you don't listen to them.
    I don't really think you can judge a band by one album and expect them to be the same every single album. A silly and probably overused band as example, The Beatles, have you listened to all their albums? Didn't you notice that all their albums are different? No one made a drama around that.
    I think more people should look to every album as individual more than "that's from THAT band so it sound like THAT".

    How lame would the music get if every band kept making the same?
    December 2nd, 2008 at 08:33pm
  • Her Afterlife

    Her Afterlife (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    United States
    Avenged Sevenfold never actually sold out. If you did your reasearch, M. Shadows was recorded saying "We didn't want to do screaming anymore, we knew we could evolve into something bigger and better. That required me to do less screaming."

    And about the Rev:

    "The Rev has really stepped up for this album(speaking of their album Avenged Sevenfold.) He's written quite a few of the songs, so he's been getting vocal parts too. The only one who doesn't sing in the band now is Johnny Christ." -- Zacky Vengeance.

    So, if you don't mind, do some reasearch before you call a band a sell out, use your 'brilliance' to look up your facts.
    December 2nd, 2008 at 07:28pm
  • melon avenue.

    melon avenue. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Germany
    I didn't think sell-out had anything to do with changing style. I thought it meant that they just care about the money and produce lots of fan-thingies, merch and stuff to get noticed.
    December 2nd, 2008 at 04:06pm
  • Venomous.Vampire

    Venomous.Vampire (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    That totally all made sense to me. I hate it when people are all, oh, MCR sold out when they made the Black Parade. No they didn't, they matured. Just because you thought their older stuff was more "hxcore" doesn't mean they sold out. They just grew up a bit.
    Xo
    December 2nd, 2008 at 02:32pm
  • petalhee.

    petalhee. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Philippines
    That was a great read! :)
    December 2nd, 2008 at 01:50pm
  • cassie-fleury

    cassie-fleury (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    Canada
    m shadows didnt have surgery he just said that he didnt want to do screaming on the next album that comes out, its in there dvd
    December 2nd, 2008 at 01:48pm
  • Juggalette

    Juggalette (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    I totally agree with this article. I mean it's natural for people to change so I don't see why everyone has to make such a big deal about the music if it matures, as long as the message they originally conveyed stays the same right?
    December 2nd, 2008 at 12:54pm
  • graceness.

    graceness. (210)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Australia
    kuDOS.
    Very true article indeed. This whole "sell out" issue has gotten completely out of hand.
    It seems that if you want to be in a band nowadays, you have to be prepared to become sell outs eventually, wether you planned to or not.
    December 2nd, 2008 at 12:37pm
  • Minor Fish

    Minor Fish (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    Not all bands "sell out", if I band gets to popular sure their ganna do some advertisement for a magazine or something, with people pirating music, less CDs are being sold, and they can't live on the concert's alone (well they can but they wouldn't have that "rock star" lifestyle most of the bands of the type you listed (they all (seemed to be rock bands), they can make more money from doing advertisement and such.
    December 2nd, 2008 at 12:16pm
  • Elizabeth Lavenza

    Elizabeth Lavenza (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    "Selling out is a term used by fans that are ignorant and don't want to realize that their band has matured past their state of mind.” That’s what my friend Julie said on this whole thing, that’s what I agree with.

    P.S. I love you and your friend already, can I give you guys iHugs and iKisses? =D

    xo
    December 2nd, 2008 at 11:42am
  • Elizabeth Lavenza

    Elizabeth Lavenza (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    Yeah, fans do change their tastes. We all do, but we don't have to call them sell-outs. They make music, whatever they make, they feel. I promised to stick with them 'til the end, and I will.

    Well written, love. :]

    xodani
    December 2nd, 2008 at 11:40am
  • Venomous.

    Venomous. (300)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Australia
    Avenged Sevenfold didn't change their sound because Matt had surgery. They had already planned on changing right after they put out their first record.
    =) It's in All Access.

    People just like talking shit and boosting their own egos. [/discussion]
    December 2nd, 2008 at 10:04am
  • strange.

    strange. (310)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    I love Adam <3
    December 2nd, 2008 at 08:58am
  • the hatter.

    the hatter. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    103
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    Often, when a band 'sells out', they change their style and sound to something more 'mainstream' because their label offered them more money for doing so, but if you take a look at Panic At The Disco, they've dramatically changed their sound. They've changed it to something heavily influenced from older bands, their sound is something a lot of people thought they'd never hear again, a sound that wasn't 'in'. So, Panic are definitely not 'selling out'.
    And if some bands are 'selling out', hey, who cares?
    If a record company offered me a lot of money to change who I was, I'd probably weaken and take it.
    That's what the world is like.

    However, I love a lot of those bands and I see nothing wrong with their sound changing. :D
    December 2nd, 2008 at 08:47am
  • Beau Bokan

    Beau Bokan (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    ADAM = BEST SINGER EVER!!!
    just thought id let ya know. But yes he is right, a lot of the younger bands have changed their styles and fans dont like them anymore. It sucks
    December 2nd, 2008 at 06:53am
  • So Figured Out?

    So Figured Out? (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Australia
    You know, you really have no right to call all bands sell outs. If a band wants to change their music and you dont like it, its your bad luck!
    December 2nd, 2008 at 06:41am