Original Lynyrd Skynyrd Keyboardist Dies

Original Lynyrd Skynyrd Keyboardist Dies Billy Powell, the longtime keyboardist for Lynyrd Skynyrd was found dead in his condominium early Wednesday morning at the age of 56. Powell had a history of heart trouble and had phoned paramedics just before 1 am reporting trouble breathing. When paramedics arrived they found him unresponsive, still holding the phone in his hand. A heart attack was the suspected cause of death.

Powell was one of the last surviving members of the original Lynyrd Skynyrd, having survived the 1977 plane crash that claimed the lives of Ronnie Van Zant, Steve Gaines, and Cassie Gaines. He was also one of the only two original members who still toured with the current Skynyrd line-up, the other being guitarist Gary Rossington. His death has been greatly felt by all of his family, band mates, and friends.

Johnny Van Zant, brother of the late Ronnie Van Zant and current front man of Lynyrd Skynyrd was interviewed by the Jacksonville News regarding the death and said, "You know, they say they've got one hell of a band up in heaven. My brother Ronnie up in heaven is probably saying, 'Billy, what took you so long?' I'm sure they're catching up on things in heaven."

Billy Powell was described as having a huge heart of gold and hugely abiding in his faith. Anyone who has ever heard him play knows that the man was indeed a legend. He and his music will be greatly missed by all. Billy Powell's death is a tragic loss to rock and roll.

Latest articles