Happy 40th Birthday, Pinkpop Festival!

Happy 40th Birthday, Pinkpop Festival! Headlining the festival was Depeche Mode, who later had to cancel, and Bruce Springsteen. The festival went over three days, with four different camping sites and 3 stages. The mainstage and the tentstage, and the 3fm Stage.

The first day, Saturday, kicked off to a good start with Just Jack performing on the tentstage at 16:45, and the Killers performing on the mainstage at 17:45. Many other bands such as Elbow, Me First and The Gimme Gimme's, Chris Cornell and Kings of The Day kept spirits up, but the crowd was incredible as Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band took to the stage. Supporters flocked, all ages, to the main stage at 20:15, and Bruce played excellently, leaving nearly all fans satisfied.

Sunday started off with an 'emo/punk' band You Me At Six at the tentstage at 13:00. They performed excellently to the mainly teenage crowd, and were begged for an encore, which they could not comply to, since they had to be in Belgium the next day. On the 3fm Stage things were going lively with the Dutch band De Staat and more well known names such as James Morrison and Keane. The mainstage was most popular with the following line-up: Milow, Volbeat, Madness and Placebo. Depeche Mode was replaced by the Dutch band Krezip. Fans of Volbeat seemed disappointed, as it was not their best performance. Madness however, played much longer than intended and nearly everyone had to sing along to the catchy song "our house, in the middle of our street..."

On Monday 1st of June there was excellent news, as all 65thousand tickets were sold, meaning that money went to building proper buildings for Schools in the needy countries. The bustling day started off with the popular band The All American Rejects playing at 12:45 at the tentstage. The best part of the performance was when Tyson Ritter pulled a girl from the audience and sang their song 'Mona Lisa' to her. The busy day then took of with Katy Perry, The Script, and The Ting Ting's on the tentstage, Shinedown, Billy Talent, The Kooks and more on the 3fm stage and Novastar, Amy McDonald and Franz Ferdinand and more on at the mainstage. The festival finished with Snow Patrol, then a series of Fireworks.

The weather throughout the weekend was stifling hot, meaning many girls in bikinis and men without T-shirts.

Also at the festival the Free Record Shop set up a Meet and Greet stall, where some bands (including All American Rejects, Maria Mena and The Scrip t- who later canceled) signed autographs and posed for pictures. These pictures can be found here.

Latest articles