Bikinis

Bikinis Now that summer has finally reared its warm head, the world of fashion trends no longer concerns itself with heavy clothing of autumn and winter, but now we're in the season of swimwear.

One type of swimwear that has been popular and is still increasingly popular amongst kids, teens, and adult women all over the world, are bikinis. Bikinis are bathing suits with two pieces fabric, that like girls' underwear, only covering the chest and the waist/ pelvic areas.

The bikini has been around for centuries, but the modern version of the bikini swimwear was invented in 1946 by a French engineer named Louis Reard. The name, bikini, was actually a small joke by Reard, because he named it after the nuclear testing area called Bikini Atoll in the Pacific Ocean, because he hoped the bikini would make a big explosion into the world of fashion, like a nuclear explosion.

Other previous histories of the bikini are... In the earliest history a mother-goddess of a tribe in South America was depicted as wearing two pieces of fabric, somewhat like the modern day bikini. Also, in Ancient Rome, athletic women were shown in art as wearing bikini resembling clothing.

But, as for the modern day bikini, it has gone from simplistic, plain, designs to patterned and creative designs. Such as in the picture, there are many striped bikinis, as well as polka-dotted, plaid, flowered, starred, and an even more creative one that has become increasingly popular, paint splattered.

Latest articles