John Hughes, Dead At 59

John Hughes, Dead At 59 John Hughes was one the greatest directors/writers of our generation. Such movies as "Sixteen Candles" and "Pretty In Pink" made him a trademark to all angst-filled teenagers of the 1980's and early 90's. His films have paved the way for the big "teen film" craze that we love so much today.

Unfortunately, a part of the "teen comedy" world has died today. The beloved director died of a heart attack in Manhattan on Thursday, August 6th. According to NBC news, "Hughes died of a heart attack during his morning walk. He was in Manhattan visiting family."

Hughes began as an ad writer in Chicago. According to Wikipedia.org, while Hughes was in Chicago, he wrote jokes for comedians such as Joan Rivers and Rodney Dangerfield. His story entry to National Lampoon became the basis of the widely popular "National Lampoon's Vacation" films.

He was able to make the leap to the silver screen with his "Salinger-esque rebellion against conformity", and the way he was able to show the pure affection of teenagers without it coming off as sleazy. His first directorial debut, "Sixteen Candles", won him well deserved praise, thanks to his realistic view of the high school teenager. Also, thanks to his movies, actors like Molly Ringwald and Anthony Michael Hall, Demi Moore, Rob Lowe, Judd Nelson, Emilio Estevez, Ally Sheedy, and Andrew McCarthhy (also known as the Brat Pack) were able to become teen idols. Movies following the success of "Sixteen Candles" were: "The Breakfast Club", "Ferris Bueller's Day Off", "Pretty In Pink", and "Weird Science".

As the years went by, Hughes wanted to relinquish his title as "King of Teen Comedies". He later directed "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles", "Curly Sue" and the ever popular "Home Alone". Three years after directing his last film "Curly Sue" he retired in Wisconsin, withdrawing himself from the public eye.

Sources: www.msnbc.msn.com
en.wikipedia.org

Latest articles