Online Gaming: Is It An Addiction or A Hobby?

Games have been a part of our lives. Like technology, games have evolved quickly through the years especially since the development of the World Wide Web in the early 1980's. Online gaming is somewhat part of video games. Ever since Java and Flash were invented, online gaming communities and online games became known throughout the globe. But today, online games varies from first-person shooting games[1], browser-based games[2], real-time strategy games[3], cross-platform[4] and MMOG[5](Massively Multiplayer Online Games).

For me, online gaming is a permanent part of my life even though I was constantly banned from it. I think of it as a sanctuary of some sort because what I cannot accomplish in the real world, I can accomplish there and that gives me a sense of accomplishment.

I was in the second grade when I got hooked on online gaming and since I am in Asia, emergence of internet cafes made it easier for me to play online games that I couldn't download. But throughout the years, I was constantly told that it was bad and it can lead you to stealing. For a very long time, I pondered on that thought.

What if online gaming really was bad?

We all have common sense to know what's right or wrong and in online gaming it's very important. There are some players in online games that will shoot you down or make you feel small but you have to control yourself because there is something called role-playing etiquette.

The bad thing about online gaming is that there some people that don't know etiquette or how to act mature in there just because you can't see them. They curse in the chat box or room and all the people online would see it. It can even get you addicted if you won't control yourself.

Sometimes, online gaming is good. You can talk to other people and they would compliment you or worship you there and it often gives you a good feeling. You can go to competitions or meet up with fellow online gaming friends.

The best thing about online gaming is it's often staggering how the graphics are and how unpredictable some are but I assure you, that online gaming will give you another reason to laugh out loud by yourself.

Latest articles