Worth Waiting For

Congratulations, it's a...

“Joe they’ll be back soon!!!” I shouted up the stairs to my husband. It had been ten days and Kevin, Lauren, Nick, and Lana are set to come back today.

“Babe, I know.” He said as he walked down the stairs. He wrapped his arms around my waist and placed his lips on mine passionately. “Do you think we could have a repeat of last night?” he asked, giving me a wink.

“Honey, not tonight. I’m so exhausted. Plus, won’t it be awkward with other people in the house?” I asked, looking out the window for the twentieth time that morning.

“So, basically you’re saying that we’ll never have sex again so long as Kevin, Lauren, and Lana live here?” he asked as I nodded my head. “Seriously? Mel, the first time neither of us really remembers and these past few times… you’ve been…”

“Pregnant, Joe. I’m pregnant, admitting it is the first step.” I said, placing my hand on his chest and smiling at him.

“Well I know that but… I can’t imagine it having been entirely… enjoyable for you. I mean, we were being extra careful because of the baby so…”

“So you couldn’t entirely have your way with me?” I asked, arching my eyebrow.

“No, I couldn’t.” he said, pouting. Just then a car horn honked in the driveway and I jumped and excitedly went to the door.

“They’re here! They’re home!” I exclaimed as I pulled the door open and Lauren came running towards me.

“We’re back!” she shouted, giving me a bone crushing hug.

“Hey Melissa!” Nick shouted, jogging up the steps with some of his and Lana’s luggage as Lana followed with a few other bags and Kevin tried to get all of his and Lauren’s luggage out.

“Oh you’re back!” I exclaimed, hugging Nick and Lana.

“Hey! Don’t squish baby!” Joe said, looking extremely concerned.

“I missed you so much!” I exclaimed, releasing from the hug.

“We missed you too,” Nick said, walking inside and giving Joe a hug.

“So how was it? Was it wonderful? I want to hear everything you did and everything you ate. Oh, was it warm? I read it was warm. How was Kingston? Did you see Bob Marley’s house?” I asked as I was led inside by Joe. The six of us went into the living room and Kevin and Lauren immediately sat down.

“Hold on one second missy, let’s look at you.” Nick said.

“Guys, it’s been ten days. I haven’t grown that much more.”

“To the side please.” Nick said. He then smoothed his hands over my stomach. “Hello. Hi. Nice to see you. I’m your Uncle Nicky and this is your Auntie Lana. Say ’hi’ Lana.” He cooed.

“Hey,” she said, waving from the couch.

“Kevin come here, rub my stomach.”

“No thanks. I’m good.”

“Kevin’s a chicken,” Lauren said.

“Hey, I’ll like it when it comes out.” He said.

“So, when do we get to find out what the ultrasound said? Boy or girl?” Nick asked, sitting down.

“Oh, it’s a…”

“Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba,” Joe said, shaking his finger at me.

“It’s a ba? What’s a ba?” Nick asked.

“Read,” Joe said, taking his keys out of his pocket and showing everyone a keychain.

“I do not want to know the sex of my baby.” Lauren read out loud.

“That’s right.” Joe said proudly. “I’m going old-school on this.”

“And he’s being completely stubborn.”

“But you know, right?” Lana asked.

“Of course I know. I got little clothes to put on…”

“Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba!”

“What? I said nothing about the sex.”

“You said little and now I know it’s going to be little!”

“Joe, seriously. You don’t want to know?” Nick asked.

“Hey, in the old days the guys would pace back and forth in the waiting room until a pretty nurse in a nice white outfit would come out and say ’Congratulations, it’s a’ insert your children’s sex here. Ricky Ricardo didn’t know. Dick VanDyke didn’t know and by-gum if it’s good enough for Rick and Dick, it’s good enough for me.” He said while I rolled my eyes.

“Well, I want to know.”

“Guys what do you say? Be on my side?” Joe asked the others.

“Joseph, there are no sides.”

“We can all be in that waiting room together, pacing, waiting… what do you say?”

“Ok,” Lana said.

“Sure,” said Kevin.

“I’m on Joe’s side!” Lauren exclaimed, grinning at me.

“Great! Welcome to 1954,” he said, pulling out extra key chains.

“Happy to be here,” she said, passing one to Kevin.

“Well I want to know!” Nick said.

“Come on, I’ll tell you outside,” I said, standing up.

“You sure you don’t want to go?” he asked Lana, hesitating at the door.

“Read the key chain mister,” she said, pointing at it and smiling at him.

“Okay…” he said, walking out behind me and closing the door. We walked around the side of the house to where the shed was and I started to unlock the padlock.

“Joe’s really not going to be in the delivery room with you?” Nick asked, sounding surprised.

“Oh no, he will. This is all just a whole big episode he’s playing out. I’m opening the shed!” I shouted in the direction of the house. “Okay, are you ready?”

“Ready for what?” I laughed and opened the doors wide, displaying everything inside. Nick stepped right inside and looked around, his mouth open wide.

“It’s a girl,” he said softly, looking around at everything pink I had accumulated in the past ten days.

“It’s a girl!”

“Oh, Mel!” he said, hugging me. “You’re having a girl!”

“I know! Joe will finally have that little girl to spoil rotten.”

“My God, it’s so exciting! A girl. Oh, a little girl,” he said, picking up a tiny pink bear and sitting down in the rocking chair. “I know nothing about little girls.”

“Mm, me either.” I said, sitting in the big comfy chair I bought.

“Man, you’re prepared aren’t you?” he said, looking around again.

“Yes I am,” I said proudly. He took in a deep breath.

“It’s so nice to be home.”

“It’s nice to have you home,” I said, reaching across and patting his hand. We were both silent for a moment as I let Nick process the fact that he was going to have a niece.

“So,” he said, smiling at me. “You going to name her Nicholas?”

“Absolutely. That won’t be confusing at all.” I said with a laugh.

****

Late-July 2010
Week 26


“How are we doing today Mr. and Mrs. Jonas?” Dr. Lockhart asked pulling out my chart.

“Fine,” Joe answered.

“A little tired,” was my reply.

“Baby keeping you up or have you had trouble sleeping?”

“A little bit of both.” I answered. “We bought the body pillow like you suggested and I’ve even been using a few extra pillows.”

“The bed has become quite crowded.” Joe said.

“Fallen off yet?” she asked laughing.

“Once or twice.”

“Really? You didn’t tell me that.”

“What? It’s no problem. People fall off beds all the time. Now, can we please just get on with the exam?”

“Of course, your shirt please, Melissa.” Dr. Lockhart said, pulling out the transducer and turning on the monitor. I raised my shirt as she spread the gel on my stomach. “Well, the baby looks to be a very nice size for this stage of the pregnancy.”

“Oh, I’m just waiting for the day where you slip doc,” Joe said, smiling at the picture on the screen.

“Slip what?” she asked, as if she didn’t know.

“The sex of the baby.” Joe said. “I’m just waiting for you to slip.”

“I’m sorry Mr. Jonas but that’s not going to happen.” She said, laughing. “Well, you are all set. I’ll just print this out and then you can go.”

“Thank you,” I said, taking the paper towels from her to wipe the gel off of my stomach.

“Almost there Lyss,” Joe said, taking my hand to help me sit up.

“I know! I’m so excited only about three and a half months left! I just want it to come out!”

“Me too. I can’t wait to officially be a Daddy.” He said, smiling. “Come on, let’s go home.”

****

Early-August 2010
Clark’s 50th Birthday


“Hi Mom,” I said, walking into my parents’ house, the entire Jonas family behind me.

“Hello. Your father and grandmother are in the living room.”

“Gran’s still here?” I asked, peering through the doorway.

“She insists on staying until the baby is born.” My mother said with a sigh. Good, I thought. “Go on in, I’ll help Britania with the gifts.”

“Hi Dad,” I said, walking in with a smile. He stood up and hugged me.

“There’s my other girl. How’s my grandbaby doing?” he asked, shaking hands with all of the guys and hugging all of the women.

“Just fine,” Joe answered. “Hello Mrs. Douglas,” he said, acknowledging my grandmother. She simply nodded her head.

“So Dad, how has the birthday been so far?”

“Just wonderful. It has gotten better now that all of you are here. I enjoy a nice celebration once and awhile.”

“Melissa, Marie told us that you plan on staying until after the baby is born.” Denise said.

“Yes, I feel it is only appropriate to welcome my first great-grandchild into the world.”

“And you’ll be flying back to London then?” Kevin Sr. asked as we walked into the dining room.

“Actually, no.”

“What?” Mom asked, having walked into the room at that exact moment.

“I said I will not be flying back to London Marie. Goodness, you’re not that slow.”

“So what will you be doing Gran?” I asked, slightly curious as Britania brought in our first course.

“For the past few years now, I’ve been renting my house here in California to a lovely couple. They have decided to move to New York so I have decided to secure a new tenant.”

“And have you found that new tenant?” Dad asked.

“I have.” She said, nodding her head.

“Who?”

“Me.”

“What?” Mom asked, yet again.

“Honestly Marie, is that the only word you can say tonight? I wasn’t going to bring this up tonight since it is your birthday Clark but since you asked my health hasn’t been very good lately.”

“What’s wrong Gran?” I asked.

“What’s wrong is that I’m not twenty. Anyhow, the weather in London is quite damp and I have a yearning to be a little closer to my immediate family. Especially after all these years of non-communication. Now that the couple has decided to move out I have decided to move in.”

“When Gran?”

“As soon as I can close up the London house and get my affairs in order.”

“Well… I think that’s a wonderful idea.” Dad said. “I’m thrilled.” I looked over at Mom who looked completely appalled and frightened. “Marie and I will take care of you; make sure your health is good, day and night.”

“Good,” Gran said. “Oh, it’s time for the next course. Britania, our next course please.”

“I’m not done.” Mom said suddenly. Everyone at the table turned to look at her.

“What do you mean you’re not done? You had twelve minutes.” Gran said.

“I’m not done.” Mom said defiantly.

“Fine, we will wait.” Gran snapped. Mom picked up her fork and knife and cut up her green beans so daintily and chewed slowly. It’s going to be a long night I thought.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm SO SORRY that took so long for me to get out! I'm a little stressed at the moment.... It's finals week this week and I still have about half my stuff left to pack and then I'm back home for the summer! First year as a college freshman OVER!!

So........

IT'S A GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How exciting! I'm excited, I hope you all are. :D
Let me know your thoughts and what do you think Joe's reaction will be once the baby is born and he finds out it's a girl.

By the way... dialogue from the beginning comes from the first episode of season 4 of Gilmore Girls and dialogue from the very end comes from an episode somewhere in the middle of season 3.

C/R/S

~Steph <3