Worth Waiting For

Walk in the Park

August 15, 2010
Joe’s 21st Birthday


“Where are you taking me woman?” Joe asked as I led him through the house. He was blindfolded to keep it a surprise.

“First of all you will never, ever, call me ’woman’ again, especially when I’m pregnant. Got it?”

“Yes ma’am,” he said, taking a gulp.

“Second, it’s a surprise and I’m not going to tell you.” I said. I carefully led him down the stairs to the basement.

“Oh, the basement. Do you have something special planned?”

“Joseph, shut up! You’re going to ruin it.” I whined. “Close your eyes.”

“I’m already blindfolded!” he exclaimed, throwing his hands in the air.

“Do you want a surprise or not?”

“Fine,” he said, sighing.

I reached my arms around his neck to untie the blindfold and he smirked and wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me as close as possible for my seven and a half month pregnant belly. I pulled the blindfold off slowly, making sure his eyes were closed and motioned to Lauren to turn the lights on.

“Surprise!” everyone shouted. Joe opened his eyes and looked around smiling. My parents, Lauren’s aunt and uncle, Joe’s family, the band, Rob, and Lana were there along with four good friends of Joe, Kevin and Nick. Their names are Alex, Andrew, Michael, and Jason… also known as Honor Society.

“Whoa! What are you doing here?” Joe asked, giving them the genuine man-hug.

“Dude, it’s your birthday!” Jason exclaimed.

“Yeah, we wouldn’t miss it.” Alex said.

“Just think. A year ago you were on tour having a fantastic book being written about you and now you’re preparing to be a Dad.” Michael said, faking crying.

“Oh jeez Mike. Why are we friends?” Joe asked while the H.S. guys laughed. “So, have you met my wife, Melissa?”

“Duh, she’s the one that called us.” Andrew said. “By the way, sorry we couldn’t make the wedding. This is our longest break so far.”

“That’s right!” Joe said. “How is the first Honor Society tour going?”

“It’s fantastic.” Alex said. “We’re having so much fun.”

“But we’re so tired,” Jason said, resting his head on Mike’s shoulder.

“Well you better get used to it.” Nick said, walking over and standing next to me. “Especially if you’re becoming as popular as I hear.”

“Even if we are, we’ll never amount to Jonas Brothers’ fame.” Alex said.

“Enough fame talk!” Kevin said, coming over with Lauren trailing behind me. “Time to party!”

Frankie cranked the music and we all started dancing.

“Where’s your grandmother?” Joe shouted above the music.

“Dad said she wasn’t feeling well so he made her stay at the house and a doctor’s going to check on her later.”

“Well, I hope she’s okay.”

“Honestly, I just think she didn’t want to come.”

“Hey, you don’t know that.” He said, pulling me close and kissing me. “Now, let’s just enjoy the party!”

****

Late-August 2010
Week 30


“Frankie, when do you start home-school again?” I asked from the kitchen as I made the two of us lunch. I was watching him for the day while Denise and my mother went baby shopping for things such as a bath tub, high chair, car seat, etc. Kevin Sr. and the boys had to go to an interview and Lana and Lauren were at work leaving Frankie and I to enjoy a day together.

“Mom said in two weeks.” He said, coming into the kitchen. “Mel, I don’t want to eat inside. It’s so nice out.”

“Okay, well, how about we walk to the park and make lunch a picnic. Dr. Lockhart told me that taking walks is good exercise for me and the baby.”

“Yes! I’ll carry the basket for you!”

“It’s hanging in the pantry.” I said, laughing.

I packed our lunch in the basket, grabbed my phone and keys, and we went outside. After locking up the house we made our way down the block, starting our ten minute trek to the park. I walked as fast as I could next to Frankie.

“Mel, when is the baby coming? I want to be an uncle already!”

“Well, I want to be a Mommy already. The baby should be here in early November.”

“What if it’s born on Kevin’s birthday? That would be so cool!”

“Yeah it would, but honestly, I hope the baby is born the day before Kevin’s birthday.”

“Why?”

“Remember last year when we were at that park with Joe and Nick?”

“Yeah…”

“Remember that song I was singing when you and Nick left?”

“Yeah, it was pretty. Who sings it?”

“Alexz Johnson. Her birthday is the day before Kevin’s and I just think it would be really cool."

“Yeah, I guess so. I see the park! Do you want to sit on the ground or at a table?”

“What do you think?” I asked one hand on my lower back, the other on my stomach.

“Right, table. My bad.” He said, laughing.

****

Why does love always feel like a battlefield, a battlefield, a battlefield? Why does….

“Hello?” I asked as I answered my phone.

Hey where are you?” Joe asked.

“Frankie and I are at the park down the street. How was the interview?”

Fine. A bit boring. Mind if I join you two?

“Please come! I think I’ll need your help walking back, Frankie won’t be able to keep me going.” I said, laughing.

Alright, I’ll be there soon.” He said and I hung up.

“Mel! Look at me!” Frankie called from the monkey bars.

“Go Tank!” I shouted. “Just be careful!”

“Yeah, yeah.”

I watched Frankie meticulously as he climbed around on the monkey bars. My hands were constantly on my stomach; my little baby sure was slightly active. It’s not usually normal for her to be moving around so much during the day. She’s usually active when I’m trying to sleep.

“Excuse me ma’am, but you look rather lonely just sitting there on a bench all by yourself.” A slightly familiar voice said. I turned around and smiled.

“Well hello, stranger,” I said as Joe walked around the table to sit next to me. He leaned over and gave me a kiss.

“Hi,” he said, smiling and placing a hand on my stomach. “Where’s Frankie?”

“Over on the playground.” I said, looking over at him.

“Hi Joe!” Frankie called, waving at his older brother.

“Go join him,” I told Joe, nudging him in the ribs with my elbow.

“You sure?”

“Yeah, go. It’ll be fun to watch.”

“Alright, I’ll be back.” He said, kissing my cheek and jogging over to Frankie.

****

Joe’s POV

“Hey Tank,”

“Hey. Can you help me cross the monkey bars?”

“Yeah sure. So how was your day with Lyss?”

“Fun! We watched a movie this morning and we ate lunch here and I’ve been having a lot of fun. I love her a lot I’m glad you married her.”

“Yeah, me too.” I said, as I looked over at Lyss and smiled when she waved.

“Joe, I’m slipping. Don’t drop me!”

“I got you. I got you.” I said, tightening my grip on his waist. “Did you guys talk about the baby?”

“Yeah. I asked her when the baby is supposed to come and she said in early November. I told her I thought it would be cool if it was born on Kevin’s birthday but she wants it to be born the day before.”

“Did she say why?”

“She said that the day before Kevin’s birthday is that singers birthday… Alexz Johnson. She thinks it would be cool.”

Alex… Alexis… Alexandra! Alexandra Jonas… Alexandra Marie Jonas? No… Alexandra Elizabeth Jonas… still not right. Lauren… Alexandra Lauren Jonas. Laur will like that. If it’s a boy… Joseph Adam Jonas Jr. No… no more repeats. Jacob… Jacob Christopher Jonas. I like that a lot. I have to talk to Lyss later.

“Joe? Joe!”

“What?” I asked, shaking my head, snapping back to reality.

“I said we’re at the end. You can put me down now.”

“Oh, sorry Tank. Nice job bud.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Whoo there it is! Chapter 12!

Do you like Joe's POV? It's probably my favorite part of the chapter :D

Well... I don't have much else to say... or ask... I guess. Hope you like it!

C/R/S

~Steph <3