Sequel: Forget It All

You're My Backbone

I Know I Sound Repetitive, 'Cause I'm Repeating Myself

"You want something to drink?" Garrett asked, as we sat on the bottom of the staircase to upstairs.

We had been here for about twenty minutes now, just chatting and poking fun at the crazy party-goers. Guilt washed over me and hung on my shoulders for the thought that I was keeping Garrett from enjoying the party.

"No thanks. I don't drink." I stared down at the floor and played with my fingers. Another major difference and distinction between my brother and I. He breaks the law by drinking and well, I don't.

I was slightly embarrassed telling Garrett this. He would for sure think I'm some type of loser for drinking. Instead, Garrett chuckled softly and said, "Neither do I, but there's soda and water if you want...."

My eyes widened and my head shot over to Garrett. It hadn't occurred to me how close the two of us were sitting until now. Our waists and legs were practically attached due to how tightly close together the staircase was. His face and mine were only inches apart and I forgot for a moment what I was about to say. I hesitated for a moment and stuttered. "Uh," I started, but couldn't concentrate on what I was about to say. Instead, my eyes wandered to his lips. I shook the crazy, and completely irrational thought from my mind. "You don't drink?" I asked.

Garrett nodded his head. "I'm underage."

This caused me to crack a smile. "So is everyone at this party."

He shrugged. "Yeah, but I like following the rules."

Once again, I was more than shocked that my brother was actually friends with this kid. I scoffed and shook my head with an open smile. "Surprised?" He asked.

"More than." I replied as he stood up. Something dropped in my stomach knowing he wasn't by my side anymore.

"I'm gonna get a soda. You want one too?"

I smiled and began to stand up. "Sure."

Garrett placed a hand up in front of him. "You can stay here. I can already tell the kitchen is packed and some of the guys in there are complete assholes."

I nodded my head and a warm feeling now lit up my empty stomach with the idea of him protecting me. "Alright. I'll be here."

Garrett grinned and began to walk away before I sat back down on the stairs. I noticed him turning his head back to check on me. I pretended not to noticing, but it was honestly the only thing I could think about. Garrett entered the kitchen and disappeared from my view.

I took in the party around me. I was just outside the living room where I could see my brother talking to come boy I didn't know. There was two girls watching John and whispering. One of the girls pranced her way over to my brother and placed a hand on his shoulder. John's eyes widened while noticing the girl. He hung his shoulder low and moved it slightly, in what I guessed was an attempt to get her hand off. I chuckled lightly. I could tell when John did not like some girls.

The girl frowned and stalked back to her friend. My eyes flickered back to John whose eyes were staring at something across the room. I noticed how they met a girl with long red hair, with light brown freckles sprinkled across her nose. She was laughing and exposing her ever-so perfect white, straight teeth. I then recognized her as the girl that waved to John the day we walked to his car after school sometime the first or second week of school. I smiled at my brother's expression.

"Hey." A deep voice interrupted my thoughts.

My head turned to find a muscular kid with a red t-shirt and blue jeans on in front of me. His hair was dark brown and styled so that it was pointed up in spikes.

"Um, hi." I replied, unsure of myself and this guy.

"Hey." He repeated himself, grinning.

I wasn't sure how to respond. Should I repeat myself like he did? No.

"So," He began, "what's your name?"

"June."

He nodded his head, still grinning. "I'm Andrew."

I swallowed hard. "Nice to meet you."

He chuckled at what I assumed was how formal I was. Most girls my age we just giggle giddily at a strange boy talking to them. "Mind if I take a seat next to you?"

Garrett quickly popped into my head. "Well, uh," I stuttered, "my friend was sitting here, but he-"

Andrew cut me off by saying, "Great' and taking the seat next to me. The staircase was now much more tighter and unlike when Garrett was sitting in the spot next to me, uncomfortable.

Andrew wrapped an arm around my shoulders. I became stiff and held my breath. John was in the next room over...if he saw this....

"So, babe, I haven't seen you around here. Are you new?"

I nodded my head. "Yes, kinda. I moved here almost a month ago."

He nodded his head in understanding. "This your first party here in Tempe?"

"Uh, yes."

His arm tightened around me. "Sweet. Hey, what's your last name again?"

I didn't say my last before. I gulped the lump in my throat. He was drunk, wasn't he? I could smell it on him as his face drew closer and closer to mine. "Um, it's O'Callaghan." I cringed and wrinkled my nose at the smell.

He quickly back away, with wide eyes. "You're related to John?"

"Yes, she's his brother and I advise you to back off while you can because not only is hegoing to kick your ass, but so am I and the rest of our friends." I looked up to find Garrett glaring at Andrew with two red, plastic cups in his hands.

Andrew quickly stood up and nodded his head. "You're all fucking crazy." He mumbled under his breath.

Garrett watched Andrew intently as the boy walked away, still alarmed by what just happened. Garrett huffed while sitting down, still watching Andrew as he handed me my cup of Coca-Cola.

"Thanks." My voice was quiet and fragile. I was embarrassed.

The silence between Garrett and I lasted for several moments before I decided to speak up. "I didn't want him over here, you know. So, thanks for getting him away."

Garrett nodded his head. "He wasn't harassing you, was he? I'll kick his ass."

My eyes widened and I shook my head. "No, um, he was just annoying." And drunk, I thought.

The silence returned and I cleared my throat to break it. "Garrett, really, if you don't want to hang out with me go ahead and leave. I won't take it personal or anything. I'm not much of a party person. Actually, this is my first party, but I don't think I'm really into the whole thing anyway. So, I don't want to deprive you of having fun or anything....." I trailed off, realizing how quickly I was speaking. The boy probably didn't even understand a word I had said.

"I am having fun. I like talking to you June. Plus, I'm not a party person either. Never have been, never will."

I smiled lightly. "Really?" I asked.

"Totally. There's too many people at these parties. You can't release and have fun with yourself. If we had a party just amongst our friends, then yes, I would participate and be going wild, but that's because we're with our friends. "

I nodded my head. "I get that."

Garrett smiled. "But I do really like hanging out with you, June."

I looked down at the carpeted staircase. "I really like hanging out with you too Garrett."

The party seemed to have died down by one in the morning. Garrett, John, Kennedy, Halvo, Darry, Pat, Jared, and I walked down to Kennedy's house which happened to be down the street. His parents weren't home, so he gave us the idea of crashing there. He had two guestrooms besides his and his parents room, but no one was allowed in his parents room. Kennedy had said he didn't even want to go in there.

I was scared at the thought to where I was to sleep. Normally, I'd probably be paired with Darry because we are the two girls, but it was obvious she'd be sharing a guest room with Jared. Kennedy was to sleep in his room and I believe Pat is crashing on the floor. Kennedy happened to have a couch in his room that Halvo called earlier in the evening.

That left John, Garret and I. I could care less about John to be honest. He was my brother, in fact, my twin. We used to take baths together for christ sake. It was Garrett that scared me.

Unfortunately, Kennedy's living room, that normally had a very comfortable, suitable couch for sleeping was under-construction.

"Okay, lets see....." Kennedy tapped his chin, observing the three of us standing in a line. "The guest room is seriously small, just saying, so I'm not sure what we're going to do here."

John sighed and rolled his eyes. "This is going to sound really weird and shit, but no judging," He glared at his friends, "me and June can share a bed. We've done it before."

Pat giggled off to the sound and Halvo slapped him on the head. "They're twins Pat! What do you expect. They probably took baths together."

My point exactly.

Kennedy shrugged. "Alright. Gare, I have a sleeping bag and extra pillow. Would you be cool with crashing on the floor?"

Garrett nodded his head. "Yeah, it's fine."

So it was settled. Everyone seemed to be more than exhausted from the party, so we all crashed pretty easily.

Before drifting off to sleep, I couldn't held but think about Garrett on the floor. I couldn't help but remember that less than a week ago his arms were around me at this exact time.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry for the lack of updates recently! School has been really hectic.
Also, for those who read my other fic: Tell Me That You Love Me, I know I haven't updated that in at least the past two weeks, but I hope to get another chapter within the next week.
I'm sorry :(

Thank you for still commenting though!
:)