Sequel: Forget It All

You're My Backbone

But This Time I Feel Like I'm Doing Something Right

Sick.

That was my excuse. I was sick and honestly, I had a sore throat for the past couple of days. Nothing major, but then again, I really didn't want to go to school. I didn't want to face my brother, or worse, Garrett.

So when my mother walked into my room early this morning to wake me up, I groaned and complained about my throat that felt as if it was "On fire." Of course, my mother let me stay home. I wasn't one to cut school or stay home; I hated making up the work I missed. I didn't get sick too often either.

John left without saying goodbye, and I was thankful for that. Short after, I heard Shane leave when his friends came to pick him up. An hour later, Ross was out the door and on his way to school. My mother came into my room to check and see if I was alright to be home alone. I told her I was fine, as I always was.

She left to head off to work while I slept.

I woke up two hours later and began watching some television. The only thing somewhat interesting on was soap operas. I gave into the dramatic television and found myself completely engulfed by cheating boyfriends, dying siblings, and abusive parents.

After that, I dozed off some more.

An hour and half later I woke up once again. I grabbed my book and read a couple of chapters before passing out once again.

Why was I so tired?

I ignored the thought and drifted into my slumber once more. Not long after, I awoken, but not by myself. John, made his way through the front door and threw his backpack down on the floor. He walked into the living room to find me on the couch, still in my pajamas and looking like complete shit.

He cracked a smile. "And how was your day?"

"Fantastic." I shot back at him, slowly reaching over and grabbing my book off of the coffee table in front of the couch.

John sighed and walked into the kitchen. He came back out into the living room with a bag of potato chips, shoving handfuls into his mouth. As he chewed, the greasy food crunched in his mouth, making it almost impossible for me to read.

"Must you do that right here? Go in your room or something." I complained.

John shook his head and sat down in front of the t.v. He pulled out the Xbox out of the compartment underneath the television. He then continued to plug in wires and hook up the system.

I rolled my eyes. "John, please, I'm sick. Can't you play that some other time? Do your homework for once."

John scoffed. "Me? Homework? Nope," He smirked. "Plus, we don't have school tomorrow. No need to do it."

This was news to me. "Really?"

"Yep," He popped the 'p', "Hey, just giving you a warning, but the guys are coming over soon."

My eyes went wide. "Oh." I quickly jumped off the couch and rushed upstairs. I ran into the bathroom to discover how good I was at faking sick. I looked completely pale and there were, in fact, dark, heavy lids under my eyes. "Shit." I hissed under my breath.

I decided I needed a shower more than anything right now. I hopped in and quickly scrubbed my body along with cleaning my hair. I was out within ten minutes, freshly cleaned and not looking so sick.

When I opened the bathroom door, I heard Kennedy's voice downstairs. My eyes grew wide once more. I don't want them to see me in a towel..... I thought.

I quickly ran down the hall and into my room. I closed my bedroom door as fast as possible and in one swift movement turned around. I dug out a pair of black skinny jeans and a blue v-neck. I threw them on and brushed threw my wet hair. I then sat down on my bed and contemplated whether or not I should go downstairs and greet the guys. They were my friends. But I was 'sick' today.....

Suddenly, a light knock on my door sounded. My eyes shot to the door. I slowly got up and sucked in a deep breath. I had this odd feeling it was Garrett and by the time I reached the door I was sure it had to be him.

But I was wrong, and what a relief.

Darry stood there with a small smile. "How are you feeling?" She asked, placing a comforting hand on my shoulder.

"Um, you know. Sick." I managed a fake smile.

She nodded. "Lunch wasn't the same without you."

Guilt struck me almost instantly. I felt terrible leaving Darry alone, especially after hearing that she wasn't friends with most of the girls in our lunch period. "Aw, I'm sorry Darry."

She placed up a hand. "No need to be. I actually got some studying done."

I nodded my head, but the guilt still bubbled inside of me.

"Are you coming down? I mean, it's understandable if you don't want to." Darry said.

I shrugged and sighed. "I really don't kn-"

I was cut off by a soft voice and knock on the door. "Knock, knock."

My eyes grew wide when I noticed Garrett with a small smile on his face. Darry's eyebrows raised and she smiled. "I'll see you later, June." She winked and walked out of the room.

Why'd she wink?

"Um, hi." My words came out fast and uncomfortable.

"Hi," Garrett smiled and my knees began to feel weak. "Missed you today, and well, yesterday."

I opened my mouth to speak, but nothing came out. My head searched for words I could say, but I couldn't come up with anything. Oh god.....oh god......oh god.

I finally shrugged and said, "Sorry for leaving you in study hall."

Garrett placed a hand on my shoulder. It stung wildly. "That's alright."

I nodded my head and bit my lip. I found myself staring at the ground. Look up you idiot! Look up!

"I know you were sick and all, but other than that, were you okay yesterday? You know, when I saw you in the hall?"

I finally looked up and saw that Garrett was actually concerned.

"Me? Oh yeah. I was just having a rough day, that's all." I put on a fake smile.

Lies. Lies. Lies.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know this is somewhat shorter than most of my chapters, but I don't really have time to expand on it. Sorry :(
Thanks for all those who are commenting and subscribing!!!