Status: Active

Lips of an Angel

"Natalie, I really need to go now. We're going to be late."
"But I don't want you to leave at all. Can't you stay here with me?" I begged him.

My best friend, Matt Sanders, was leaving me, possibly forever. I had spent the past week trying to persuade him to stay here in Huntington Beach, California but in my heart I knew that there was no stopping him. Matt had always done what he wanted and what he wanted now was to go on tour and become a famous rock star.

"Why don't you come with me then? I'd love it if you did." This was his way of asking me to stay with him.

I shook my head.

"You know that it's not that simple Matt. My Dad isn't going to last very long if I leave. I'm practically the only one who can look after him. If it wasn't for that then I would run and pack a suitcase now but I can't."
"Oh Natalie, I'm going to miss you so much. I promise I'll come back as soon as I can."

I felt the tears well up as I realised that he was really finally leaving me.

"Haven't I taught you anything about making promises that you can't keep."
"Matt! Get your ass in here! We really need to go!"

We both turned to look at the van that was to be their touring vehicle for the next three months. Matt's friend Brian, the one that yelled at us, was sat in the driver's seat. his other friend Zacky was in the passenger seat. The others were in the back. Matt turned to look at me once more and then pulled me into a hug that I will never forget.

"God Natalie, I guess that this is goodbye."
"I hate that word."
"I know, I'm sorry."
"It's fine. I'll be fine."

Brian honked.

"Matt you need to go."
"Okay."

He kissed the top of my head once more before turning around and jumping into the van's open door, shutting it behind him quickly.