A Brief Look Into The Life Of Jimmy Sullivan

A Brief Look Into The Life Of Jimmy Sullivan Yesterday was a tragic day in the world of rock music, the legendary drummer of southern California rock band Avenged Sevenfold was found dead in his Huntington Beach home Monday afternoon.

Details regarding his death are yet to be released. As of right now authorities claim natural causes took the 28 year old musicians life.

"The cause of death is still under investigation,” said Deputy Coroner Mitchell Sigal.

An autopsy is scheduled to begin soon by the Orange County Coroner's Office.

You can read the bands official statement regarding Sullivan's death here.

James Owen Sullivan was most famously known as "The Rev", a nickname given to him when Avenged Sevenfold formed in 1999 in Huntington Beach, where Sullivan resided his entire life up until his death. James was more commonly called Jimmy, along with a few other nicknames he has earned over the years such as The Reverend Tholomew Plague, and Rat Head. Avenged Sevenfold is also famously known as A7X, an abbreviation coined together by guitarist Zacky Vengeance.

Jimmy was one of the founding members of Avenged Sevenfold along with M. Shadows, Justin Meacham, Zacky Vengeance and Matt Wendt. By 2002 Synyster Gates and Johnny Christ had replaced Justin and Matt Wendt. Leaving Avenged Sevenfold with their current lineup: M. Shadows on vocals, Johnny on bass, Jimmy on drums along with Zacky and Synyster on guitar.

Through extensive touring and performing with artists such as Mushroomhead and Poison the Well along with performing on various tours such as Take Action Tour and Vans Warped Tour the band finally achieved success when signing to Warner Bros. Records and dropping City of Evil in June 2005. Selling over 30,000 records in the first week combined with headlining the Vans Warped Tour that summer, A7X finally gained a larger, dedicated fan base. Their first major single "Bat Country" shot to the tops of mainstream rock charts and soon Avenged Sevenfold were rewarded as "Best New Artist" at the MTV Video Music Awards, beating out fellow new comers such as Rihanna and Chris Brown.

After worldwide touring and rocking the main stage on Ozzfest in 06, the band canceled a fall tour in favor of working on their fourth record, self titled Avenged Sevenfold. The album dropped in October 07 and sold over 90,000 copies. The band sent out hit after hit with singles such as "Almost Easy", "Critical Acclaim", "A Little Peice of Heaven", "Afterlife" and Avenged Sevenfold's last hit "Dear God".
In early 2009, M. Shadows stated the band is in preparation of writing and recording a follow up to their last record, Avenged Sevenfold. In November Zacky posted an update online stating:

"We are also in the final stages of solidifying our production team, studios and engineers so that the second the axe falls and the album is written we will spend day and night in the studio until it is complete. This album will definitely take you on a very dark journey..."

And tragically on December 28th, 2009 Jimmy passed away. Less then 2 months away from his 29th birthday. He leaves behind his wife Leana Silver. It is not known if the band had started recording and if Jimmy had recorded any of the drum tracks for the upcoming album. Details surrounding his untimely death are expected to be released in the next few days.

In the early days Jimmy had lived out of his car and worked at a laundromat to help support Avenged Sevenfold. Jimmy was a trouble maker as a child, being kicked out of Catholic school in second grade also being arrested several times in his adult life for bar fights and hitting birds while high. He's stated bands such as Slayer, Dream Theater and Pantera as his influences.

Jimmy is multi-talented playing drums, double bass, piano, guitar and vocals. He was involved with several different bands before the formation of Avenged Sevenfold. He also had a side project with A7X guitarist Synyster gates, Pinkly Smooth.

Sullivan also has written several of A7X's hit songs such as "Almost Easy", "A Little Piece of Heaven", "Brompton Cocktail", "Afterlife", Sullivan has also provided vocals to several songs. Jimmy also helped direct the orchestra for "A Little Piece of Heaven".

James Owen Sullivan did however not die without accomplishing some astonishing goals. Besides several of Avenged Sevenfold's records going gold and selling millions of records and playing thousands of shows world wide, he has had a 10 page feature in Modern Drummer magazine. He's been on the cover of Drum! magazine and also been on the cover of Alternative Press Magazine. He's been sponsored by companies such as DW Drums and beat out artists from Chris Brown at the MTV VMA'S to winning "Album of the Year" by Kerrang! last year.

2009 has claimed several musical legends and the untimely death of The Rev has brought this decade to a dark end. He may have died young but he died doing what he loved. Bands from Escape the Fate to legendary guitarist Slash Hudson have given their condolences to Rev's family, friends and Avenged Sevenfold.

His famous quote "A spoonful of Jimmy helps the whole world go down!" will forever be remembered. Jimmy's tongue in cheek personality brought smiles to fans everywhere and he will forever be adored by the bands thousands of dedicated fans.

Latest articles