Six Flags Has A New Form Of Crowd Control: Macing Teenagers

Six Flags Has A New Form Of Crowd Control: Macing Teenagers Saturday night, there was a performance as part of the Bamboozle Roadshow at Six Flags entertainment park in Arlington, featuring bands like All Time Low, and Boys Like Girls. It had all the requisite elements; bands, happy teenagers..and mace? Reports are pouring in that state that Six Flags security maced a fair amount of fans while the band All Time Low was playing.

While the band was playing, several concertgoers climbed up on stage. The band was reportedly fine with this; however, it didn’t sit well with security guards. Eyewitnesses state that they pushed fans off the stage, resulting in at least one broken limb. Others were maced, and removed from the crowd. They also reported that the scene ‘wasn’t unruly at all. Some girls were just fighting over a shirt one of the band members threw into the crowd.’ Other bands playing at the same venue, such as Boys Like Girls, state that they were locked in their buses when they tried to help the fans. Boys Like Girls member Martin tweeted ‘bands locked on their busses for defending helpless fans getting MACED for having a great time at a rock show’.

It didn’t stop there. After All Time Low member Alexander Gaskarth tweeted several incendiary, non Six Flags complimentary remarks about the making, such as “I don’t care how rowdy a crowd of kids are, there is absolutely no excuse for the police at SIX FLAGS to spray mace in our fans faces” and Zack Merrick, a fellow All Time Low member, stated “ Kid’s safety is the number one priority at shows and when they compromise that I draw the line.” Six Flags banned the band from performing at Six Flags. While Six Flags reportedly told the public that All Time Low dropped the performance, All Time Low member Alexander Gaskarth said that they were told they ‘weren’t allowed to perform’ and that ‘Its disgusting to see that a family oriented theme park covers up their flubs by shifting the blame and hiding behind shoddy excuses. ...And as a result, you guys are suffering for it. Big thanks to the park for not only condoning the macing of kids at an all ages show, but also for fabricating stories in order to ban us.’ He proceeded to offer apologies to any fans who were looking forward to the show’ For clarification, we have been asked not to perform at the 6Flags San Antonio show tonight. I'm sincerely sorry to anyone hoping to see us.’ All Time Low has been asked not to perform at any of the following tour dates at Six Flags parks.

After a overwhelming rush of comments demanding explanation both on their Twitter and Facebook, Six Flags has stuck to one generic reply. They state that no Six Flags security people carry mace, and that the perpetrators of the mace attack were in fact Arlington PD, who were called in because the show was getting a little out of hand. However, they did not reply to questions asking why they told the public All Time Low dropped the show, when in reality they were banned.

Do you believe Six Flags is guilty? Even if their security people did not technically mace anyone, who called in the Arlington PD? Six Flags has a history of security problems. In 2009, accusations were leveled at security guards who were said to have beat park guests at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom in Vallejo. Further investigation into the matter back then showed incidents going back two years. On review sites for amusement parks, there are countless reports of mistreatment and abuse by Six Flags Security. One reviewer, identifying themselves only as ‘Scott R.’ spoke about being hauled off to security along with his five and eight year old kids after taking a picture on his camera phone, at a Six Flags in Massuchussets. When he asked to see the policy in writing, he writes that he ‘was told there are signs. The signs do not say you will be removed and the security guard (caitlyn) had trouble even finding anything on the sign.’ When Scott asked for his money back, he states that the supervisor came out of his booth and said “You better leave before you have bigger problems.” What’s your verdict? Is Six Flags guilty, or was the crowd rowdy enough to warrant macing? The past history of Six Flag’s security guards abusing their power definitely doesn’t help their case…

Sources

Insider Pages
Twitter
CBS 5 News

Latest articles