Meat = Mass Murder Or Food? - Comments

  • Dreams.of.Someday

    Dreams.of.Someday (900)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    @yourpinkdiary

    What exactly do you do for those causes? Just curious.
    August 20th, 2009 at 06:01am
  • Your.Pink.Diary

    Your.Pink.Diary (165)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    Australia
    @iVenganza!

    Like poverty and the fact that billions of people don't even have access to fresh water. Like slave labour.

    I'm just one person, I can only put my attention to so many places. And for some, the meat industry takes a priority. For me, it's the above mentioned. Killing animals comes fairly low down on the list.

    but that's just me.
    August 20th, 2009 at 05:53am
  • vaporwave

    vaporwave (160)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    Canada
    What I think is hilarious is that veggies go on and on about killing animals being wrong, when they eat vegitables grown in crops. Do you know how many animals farmers kill in order to keep their crops healthy? Loads.
    August 20th, 2009 at 05:06am
  • only human

    only human (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    United States
    Pretty much [i][b]More Original[/b][/i] sums up exactly the way I feel about it all.

    This debate is never going to end. Let people eat meat if they want to. And if people want to just eat veggies, let 'em just eat veggies. Eating meat isn't wrong, eating veggies isn't wrong.
    August 20th, 2009 at 04:34am
  • aubs

    aubs (420)

    :
    Drabble Scribe
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    There have been some comments about hunting for our meat. I can see about hunting pigs and deer but what about cows? Is someone willing to go into someone else's farm and kill their cows for beef? That would be stealing. Just clearing up the [i]hunting[/i] thing.

    I don't see why people care about what happened to the cow [i]before[/i] it died. It was [b]bred[/b] for food. They were fed, cared for, given shelter and medicine (if they were ever sick). There are other cows out there on farms who they don't use for food. It's not like cows are going extint anytime soon. They breed pretty quickly. So what if they are slaughtered? Humans kind of need food to live and meat is a part of many people's diets, including mine.

    Please don't hate on me for what I think. It's my opinion and it isn't going to change because people don't like it. And don't argue about it either.
    August 20th, 2009 at 04:23am
  • only human

    only human (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    United States
    @ iVenganza!

    Well, I don't have a drive to kill anything, for food or not. But I can guarantee that if there came a time that I didn't have food and was starving, I'd kill an animal and eat it faster than you could blink. Humans have a drive to [i]survive[/i], just like every single other animal on the planet.

    What I was trying to say with that, is that you vegans and vegetarians seem to go on about how eating meat is this awful, wrong thing and yet it's something we've been doing since the beginning of time. If it weren't for meat, I don't think we'd be here today because humans would have died out from starvation. ('Cause remember back then, we didn't know how to grow crops and we weren't able to, as a species, live completely off of plant life.)

    There's nothing wrong with eating meat. If you choose not to eat it, okay then. I think it is wrong, however, for people to criticize someone by screaming "murderer" if they do eat meat.

    What if the animal was completely numb, though? Let's say it didn't feel any pain at all. Then would it be okay to eat it? If it lived painlessly (in a factory farm or not) and was killed painlessly, it would be okay to eat it then, right?
    August 20th, 2009 at 04:09am
  • Sandii_x3

    Sandii_x3 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Australia
    Back in the cavemen days? lol.
    Last time I checked we don't live in caves.

    The industry says you NEED meat cause it's a $20 billion dollar industry, so of course they're gonna lie and say you need meat for iron and you need milk for strong bones. etc etc.

    When you consume dairy your ingesting the same anti-biotics, pesticides, steroids and hormones you would if you ate meat directly, not to mention the mucus from the infected udders of cows, due to the injection of hormones.
    (delicious..)

    Oh and then there's the whole killing of the animals, which if you saw in reality you'd probably go running to your mummy crying..
    Even you big strong boys. ^_^

    I don't enjoy being preechy, but if people can rant on about how you need all these fabulous chemicals in your body, the least I can do is set the story straight.

    xo
    August 20th, 2009 at 03:44am
  • Dreams.of.Someday

    Dreams.of.Someday (900)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    ..."but it's been our natural animal instinct to hunt and eat meat."

    Do you have a drive to kill animals?
    August 20th, 2009 at 03:42am
  • Dreams.of.Someday

    Dreams.of.Someday (900)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    @stay gold; Does numbing help them during factory farming? Are they numbed their entire lives?

    Also, numbing often doesn't work in time, and the animals experience horrible pain. Sometimes they aren't numbed at all.

    99% of food animals in the US come from factory farms.
    August 20th, 2009 at 03:41am
  • Dreams.of.Someday

    Dreams.of.Someday (900)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    "...but I have other things I'm passionate about and I don't care care enough to try and do anything about it.o."

    Like what?
    August 20th, 2009 at 03:40am
  • only human

    only human (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    United States
    [i]With our current situation, more and more Vegetarians and Vegans are arising, and soon enough, the meat and dairy industries won't be able to support themselves with their slowly diminishing income. Either way, they're doomed to end.[/i]

    LOL are you serious?

    brb dying
    August 20th, 2009 at 03:21am
  • only human

    only human (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    United States
    @ iVenganza!

    That's why I made it clear that I was referring to when people say "it's wrong to eat living things" in general, because a plant is a living thing. There's obviously a difference in someone saying they think it's wrong to eat animals and someone saying it's wrong to eat any living things.

    Let me ask you this. You say it's okay to eat plants because even though they're living, they can't feel any pain (I'm assuming you mean when it's "killed", of course). Going from what you said, do you think that if the animal is somehow "numbed" (for lack of a better word) before being killed, thus feeling no pain, it would be okay to eat it?
    August 20th, 2009 at 03:18am
  • Tsukihana

    Tsukihana (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Canada
    Personally, I don't agree with the fact that we enslave these creatures for their entire lives and then kill them off when we see fit. I think that is sick and wrong. I know that if we stopped the meat industry, our economy would be in much more trouble than it is now, but I still do not think what we're doing is right.

    I don't agree with the controlled harvesting of Dairy from animals either. It's still imprisonment.

    With our current situation, more and more Vegetarians and Vegans are arising, and soon enough, the meat and dairy industries won't be able to support themselves with their slowly diminishing income. Either way, they're doomed to end.

    Although I do not eat meat or dairy, or wear leather, etc... I do agree that hunting for your food and finding your prey is tenfold more humane that what we currently rely on.

    But, with the current population of humans vs. wild animals, we would be wiping out entire species very quickly. So...

    Personally, I think we'd all be better off just eating vegetables. :3
    August 20th, 2009 at 02:56am
  • Your.Pink.Diary

    Your.Pink.Diary (165)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    Australia
    Ok, I'll post what I really think.

    1. Getting rid of the meat industry would completely destroy the economy. It would be in way way way waaaaay more trouble than what it is now.
    2. The whole 'if you go out and hunt the meat yourself... etc' argument= redundant. Firstly, through most ancient cultures it was normally the men that went out and hunted meat... so does that mean the women eating it is wrong? Secondly, do you realise how long farming has existed? thousands and thousands of years people have kept animals for the purpose of killing them for food. For thousands of years people have been selling meat to make money. They had markets in ancient civilisations where people would go to buy their food. Much like what happens today.

    I think vegetarians are quite admirable for what they do, because I personally cannot do it. But because I eat meat don't start trying to label me as a murderer. And come up with valid arguments, because those ones... not so valid.

    I don't necessarily agree with the way some meat is bred. I don't see anything wrong with farming animals for food, but some of the conditions animals are kept in are terrible, but I have other things I'm passionate about and I don't care care enough to try and do anything about it. I do try and buy free range meat, but I can't control what meat other people buy and I'm not going to try to.
    August 20th, 2009 at 01:10am
  • ZombieBunnyKILL

    ZombieBunnyKILL (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    I'm partial vegetarian, and haven't (intentionally) eaten beef for two years, or pork for a year.
    I don't think it's wrong to eat meat. Other animals do it. And what are humans but animals?
    But animal cruelty is unnacceptable and uneccessary.
    August 20th, 2009 at 12:33am
  • Dreams.of.Someday

    Dreams.of.Someday (900)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    "This is a very well written article, but I'm not a murderer. See, I probably ate that cow in the picture...but I didn't kill it myself. Cow's are freaking adorable, and any other farm animals, but their damn delicious too."

    Well that's an ignorant way of looking at it. By eating animals, you are basically killing them without having to watch their death. Well, you're at least supporting the killing of them

    Also, I bet some cannibals find human meat delicious. Nice that those humans had to die for the cannibals' taste buds. :)
    August 20th, 2009 at 12:04am
  • Dreams.of.Someday

    Dreams.of.Someday (900)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    @stay gold; The reason us vegetarians do not consider eating plants bad is because they have no central nervous system, so they cannot feel any pain.
    August 19th, 2009 at 11:55pm
  • Dreams.of.Someday

    Dreams.of.Someday (900)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    @saxophonesandmcr You do NOT need to take pills in order to be a healthy vegetarian! If you do it right...
    August 19th, 2009 at 11:53pm
  • Autumnazing

    Autumnazing (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I'm a meat eater. But I respect vegetarians, because I could never take that step.
    August 19th, 2009 at 11:02pm
  • Isabella.

    Isabella. (550)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    I believe it's both.
    August 19th, 2009 at 10:28pm