The Lack of Religious Respect - Comments

  • Mer.

    Mer. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Thanks for posting this. Earlier I had felt a little attacked, and wanted to leave Mibba for good. But now, thanks to you, I realized that I'm not alone. :)

    You wrote a phenomenal article, and I'm not just saying that because I agree with what you said, but because you backed up your ideas and defended yourself without insults, but with aplomb.
    October 6th, 2008 at 08:58am
  • chapstique

    chapstique (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Australia
    Word.
    October 6th, 2008 at 08:16am
  • Opium.Rainbows

    Opium.Rainbows (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Australia
    *Applauds*
    October 6th, 2008 at 07:34am
  • FnHeroes

    FnHeroes (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Australia
    Your talking about lumping ppl into one catagory, but isnt that what YOUR doing by telling us all we need to have more respect for your 'God' and then sit back and let the FAAAR from minority of Christians on this site tell us we're wrong for having our own opinion? Thank you for Kyra down there btw, love your last line.
    So while i'm going, i'd like you to stop and think that maybe, just MAYBE, some of us aren't arguing with your beleif, but with your opinions? Argueing with someone about abortion per-say, isn't nessasarily telling them you hate that their Christain, but more that you don't like their opinion on abortion (the topic at hand).

    BUT EVEN IF people bag out your religion, just cop it. "Eat some concrete and harden up" i think is the term going around about now. If someone starts claiming they can fly and do backflips off 18 story buildings and survive, i think its all fair to tell them to shut up. So (not that i nessasarily agree with it), if someone starts saying your gonna burn and die for enternity for being gay, or in the case of the Catholic Church using contraception (which i encourage, if it's not on its not on =]), then i think it is in anyones right to tell them to stick it were the sun don't shine. Or how about two naked people who just pooped into existance, then magically Mary retained her virginity and got pregnant, all this happening shortly after some guy had 7 spare days on his hands and decided 'why not, i think i'll make .. wait for it .. EVERYTHING!!'.

    If you boil it down, aspects of Christianity really are stupid, and really do need people to stop and pay out on them to 'keep it real'.

    You my friend, have a lot of eye opening to do.
    October 6th, 2008 at 07:20am
  • Lollipopstrings

    Lollipopstrings (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    I agree with everything you're saying.

    I also noticed that people are bringing up the past an awful lot (like the crusades). People have to remember that this was a time when people didn't know any better. Back in those times, if the doctor wasn't available, the next best thing was the barber. Bringing up past grievances (especially ones not even from the past century) isn't going to help anyone. It's about as fair as someone saying, "I hate white people because they used to own slaves."

    We all just need to learn to love. As I always say: peace, love, and french fries!
    October 6th, 2008 at 07:12am
  • leavingthisaccount

    leavingthisaccount (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    I agree, there should be a certain level of respect for all religion including christianity, and less sterotyping.
    October 6th, 2008 at 05:52am
  • Kyra

    Kyra (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    103
    Location:
    United States
    Writing muse, I live in a city and yet there are a hell of a lot more religious teenagers over non-religious teenagers. I don't get why so many religious people, Christians in particular, act like they're a minority when their religion is getting in the way of the rights of EVERYONE and also affects life. Why do you think a lot of places close down early or for the whole day on Sundays? Or the little bible clubs high schools start?

    Minority my ass.
    October 6th, 2008 at 05:13am
  • The Emo Is Standing

    The Emo Is Standing (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    Japan
    I totally agree with this article. (:

    I am not into the Christian beliefs, my religion is Buddhism, but I have many friends and family members that are Christian. Everyone has the right to believe in what they believe. Simple, isn’t it? Anyway, this article is very well written. I enjoyed it very much. [=
    October 6th, 2008 at 05:02am
  • onewaytogo

    onewaytogo (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    Hahahah, Gabe, so silly.
    Brava', everyone. I enjoy reading the thought out and fact-based comments left by you. They make me smile.
    Who wants to talk about politics?!
    October 6th, 2008 at 04:27am
  • writing muse

    writing muse (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Location:
    United States
    I agree, and I am Christain, but that is not why I agree.

    We are teenagers. More than that, most of us are those teenagers that try their best to rise above the rumors and rudeness for the sake of our opinions and our past times. Many on here call themselves misfits, or fall into that category due to the unfair school social network. We hiss and complain about being picked on or bullied (which we have every right to, I believe).

    Who should be allowed to come on here and do the VERY SAME THING we complain about. Comment threads bashing the beliefs of others.

    We hate it that peers point at us, or bash us for wearing black. For being a minority in the social scale. So, we bash religious beliefs (something that is, for teenagers, a minority as well, or so it seems). Makes no sense.
    October 6th, 2008 at 03:04am
  • Iago-Disco

    Iago-Disco (300)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Australia
    I think this issue has been fairly well covered. It reminds me of the Democrats vs the Republicans. There's Joe Biddern talking sensibly about the economy, diplomacy and global warming, while sarah palin's talking about hockey mums and saying 'doggone it'. The commentors who approve of the article haven't actually said much aside from 'i'm a christian, good job' just like sarah palin said, 'i won't answer that question, instead, i'll talk about what i did in alaska'. right. yeah.

    If i wrote, in an article or journal,'i believe in the god ULTAMATIIIUM!!! who thinks it's a great idea to kill and eat babies', followed by a speal about treating unicorns properly because, if you don't, you'll be raped by a big kiwi named Bubba shortly after you die; i think you'd be perfectly within your rights to call me silly.
    just because billions of people believe in a large bearded guy who created the world in seven (7) days (including his lunch break) and a fiery eternity in hell if your bad, doesn't make it any less ridiculous. So sure, have your beliefs if they make you feel better about yourself, but i for one am not going to stop laughing at you a little bit and calling a spade a spade, or in this case, a massive joke a massive joke.

    I think perhaps you guys just need to harden up a little; maybe when there's a large mob of pillow-case-wearing heavies outside your room waiting to lynch you you can seriously complain.

    Gabe
    October 6th, 2008 at 02:47am
  • Dysfunctional Beauty

    Dysfunctional Beauty (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    I agree. I'm a fellow Christian, and I don't think it's right that people are disrespectful to your religion. I, as a Christian I do get much grief for my beliefs. But do we give them such trouble for NOT believing what we believe? Well maybe some do, but I know I don't.
    There are people out there who hate the concept of God, and well that's their own choice. But that doesn't mean that they can just disrespect others who do believe for almost no reason, but just to prove that they are right, and we are wrong.
    October 6th, 2008 at 02:37am
  • paranormality.

    paranormality. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    Yeah. I agree. There needs to be a certain level of respect.

    There's a common misconception that people that are Christian don't approve of gays/abortion etc...... which is ridiculous.
    October 6th, 2008 at 02:08am
  • asteroid

    asteroid (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    Mystic Dreamer, there's not much more I can add that FORTY OZ. CASUALTY didn't cover.

    Basically: learn your history. Ever hear of the crusades? That's one example and there were many others, including MULTIPLE crusades. Don't go thinking Christianity is 100% innocent because it's not. Neither is any other religion.

    Also, you obviously don't know what a theory means in science. I believe you're talking about the definition of a hypothesis? There are millions of hypotheses, but barely any theories. A theory is an extremely likely hypothesis that has been developed over decades or centuries of study and research.

    Again, learn your history/scientific definitions before saying things like this, please.
    October 6th, 2008 at 01:34am
  • Hold My Heart.

    Hold My Heart. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I'm Christian. I love that you are doing this! ♥
    October 6th, 2008 at 01:16am
  • SomeGirlOnTheNet

    SomeGirlOnTheNet (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    Great article. Thanks for writing this. :)
    October 6th, 2008 at 12:56am
  • Spanish Lullaby

    Spanish Lullaby (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I've noticed the whole religion bashing thing, but I've noticed that most or all of the bashings are for Christianity. I wonder why..
    Anyways, nice article. Everyone should respect everyone's beliefs. That's just the way to make the world a better place, y'all.
    October 6th, 2008 at 12:48am
  • Hellcat

    Hellcat (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    102
    Location:
    Bulgaria
    Mystic Dreamer:

    Nazism is not a science, it's a political ideology. It's a form of fascism.

    And science has been the cause of more deaths than religion? I find that highly unlikely. Let's juxtapose the death tolls from events caused by religion, such as the Crusades (countless), the burning times (over one hundred thousand), the Holocaust, which is typically defined as a genocide against the Jews (over seventeen [i]million[/i], including the ethnic Slavs, Poles, Gypsies, disabled, homosexuals, etc) and countless other holy skirmishes and put the numbers next to the amount of people who have been stoned to death over an argument about evolution. Science is material, but religion is incorporeal.

    The Nazis used Christianity to justify their stance and often used Christian imagery during the Third Reich. If that's not a religious thing, then please, tell me what it is.

    Perhaps the reason there is so much hate against the Christian religion is because there are so many pompous, arrogant and ignorant Christians in this World. And to be completely honest, I really don't think this article worked coming from a Christian perspective. This religion has basically controlled human history over the last two thousand years. It's like the big bully on the playground wondering why no one likes him. [b]A lot of people demand respect for their beliefs, but refuse to show it in return[/b]; Christians, you need to consider this as well. I really would rather have read an article on religious respect from the angle of a Muslim or a Wiccan.

    But I have also met my share of Christians who are mature enough to understand that there are other belief systems and lifestyles that are just as valid as theirs. If there were more people like that in this World, we probably wouldn't be having this conversation. None and all religions are the one true path to salvation.
    October 5th, 2008 at 11:56pm
  • Nacho Lover.

    Nacho Lover. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    102
    Location:
    Montenegro
    i aggree with this 100%
    im christian,
    dont hide it,
    and get bashed for it.
    there pretty much calling me stupid for believing.
    we all just need to respect everyone
    October 5th, 2008 at 11:24pm
  • w...................

    w................... (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    So very true, great article!
    October 5th, 2008 at 11:11pm