The Lack of Religious Respect - Comments

  • YourMomOnSteroids

    YourMomOnSteroids (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    United States
    "People post rude comments saying that religion 'silly' or 'pointless'....They just have no respect for people that happen to believe differently than they do."
    In you saying that about people who couldn't give a damn about religion whatsoever, isn't that you calling them out for it and showing no respect towards what THEY believe, just because it's different from what you believe? There are a lot of people in the world who never picked up religion or gave up religion for their own personal reasons, and they have every right to feel the way they do if they want to. I'm one of these people, because all religion seems to do, and has done, throughout history is cause wars. It is possibly the single most destructive thing in the world because each religion is so different, that NO ONE, not just ONE RELIGION, can handle the fact that the entire world doesn't share their religion alone.
    I actually get tired of you Christians and everyone else saying shit like this, whether or not you're trying to shove your beliefs down my throat it doesn't matter.
    It's more or less like you're telling me "You're being disrespectful for saying that you think religion is pointless." I'm allowed to think religion is pointless, because that's what I believe. And I don't shove that down anyone else's throats.
    October 5th, 2008 at 10:41pm
  • Kenskeet

    Kenskeet (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    Why do people even discuss religion? I's highly unlikely you can change anyone's opinions on it. Yeah, we have the freedom of speech, but wouldn't we save a lot of time and energy by just keeping an opinion to ourselves? Express all you want, that's cool. Just know someone will ALWAYS misunderstand you. If someone wants to know more about your religion, that's different. Discuss away! But hardcore Catholics and hardcore Atheists will probably never see eye to eye on this topic. They could be best friends though, if they just agree to disagree.

    As for me, I happen to be a Christian. I go to an amazing, nondenominational church, and I LOVE it. I feel like I have a real relationship with God. Religion can be much more than hymn books and prejudice. Since I decided I wanted to be closer to God, and understand Him, I have become so much happier, and more peaceful.(but still nowhere near perfect.) I wish everyone could experience this, but I know some people are too stubborn or proud to try it. That's their loss. But if someone told me they wanted that, I'd do my best to help them (NOT shove it in their face.) Religion should be personal, not something you have to defend or denounce.
    October 5th, 2008 at 10:27pm
  • Mystic Dreamer

    Mystic Dreamer (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    South Africa
    Btw More people, and this is pure fact, more people were murdered or harrassed because of science rather than religion! Hitler? Yeah the dude who was evil incarnate, he started Nazism which is a scientific thing!

    Religion is shoved down people's throats. What about Science? The big bang theory and it's JUST A THEORY!!!!

    I'm not bashing anything so don't anyone dare say that. But get your facts straight. Yes I know Christians have done so terrible things but that's the people, NOT THE RELIGION!! They should say sorry, but Christiany is a beautiful religion. Just like the Jewish, Hindu, Buddist or Muslim one. They are really beautiful.

    oh and that molesting thing. (This is not bashing, just fact) More molectors don't believe in God, let alone are Christians! Next time you even THINK of bashing ANY religion, get your facts straight!
    October 5th, 2008 at 10:10pm
  • christiangirl_13

    christiangirl_13 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Location:
    Canada
    I agree 100%!
    If you look under religion poems all there is is bashing christians. Iwon't shove my religon down your throat if you respect me, if not i'll shove it down you throat.CAll me an asshole i don't care!
    October 5th, 2008 at 10:05pm
  • Carma

    Carma (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    i agree very much so
    people need to accept that we're all different
    and respect other peoples choices
    October 5th, 2008 at 09:42pm
  • Mystic Dreamer

    Mystic Dreamer (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    South Africa
    THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I'm also Christian! Yes I understand that lots of beliefs have suffered but that does NOT give them the right to redirect to people who are happy with themselves. Those trying to forcefully "convert" people are insecure and should learn to respect what people believe. My family is Catholic but I have a Muslim aunt, a jewish sister (Though not by blood, extended family) and two agnostic uncles! Plus my sister, whose also Christian btw, had two "homosexuals" at her wedding and none of my family gave it a second thought! So I agree!
    October 5th, 2008 at 09:37pm
  • Make_my_lover_stay

    Make_my_lover_stay (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    35
    Location:
    United States
    Nice article. I agree 110% with the author. Christianity specifically is regarded as "silly" on this site. At the mere mention of God (heaven forbid I write 'Jesus') in comments, I get snide comments launched at me. Its ridiculous but I certainly dont let it irritate me. Just because I'm NOT for gay marriage doesnt make me inferior to you kiddies. Anyway, it just proves to me that a lot of you have some major maturing to do. Kudos for writing this :)
    October 5th, 2008 at 09:00pm
  • dexter

    dexter (450)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    Argentina
    I love this article. Nice job.

    As to the earlier comments, I must say that there's a huge difference with wanting to spread God's belief and being extremely pushy and bitchy about it.
    There is a HUGE difference in wanting to express your opinion RESPECTFULLY and bashing anything and everything just to be an asshole.

    What people need to do is simple, believe in whatever it is that you want
    to believe and respect the choices other people have made when it comes to religion. Everyone is different.

    If you have nothing nice to say, then it's best you keep your mouth shut. =)
    October 5th, 2008 at 08:55pm
  • psychogirl

    psychogirl (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    I think you have a very good point I'm glad you stood up for your beliefs. I know christians who are very disrespectful to other peoples beliefs and I think they give Christianity a bad name. I also know christians who respect peoples beliefs and get a lot of slack they don't deserve.
    October 5th, 2008 at 08:30pm
  • Teh-GeekInThePink-._

    Teh-GeekInThePink-._ (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Location:
    Japan
    Yes, I kind of agree. Im agnostic, I just cant believe unless I have proof. but theres two sides here. My family is christian and everytime I try to say something to explain that I just cant believe, My grandmother starts going on about how wonderful god is. I do agree with you that this religion basing is stupid. But I myself just cant take having all of this 'god' stuff shoved into my brain. Every christian I know is like this to me besides my friend. So yes I do think bashing is stupid. But please dont mention God to me. I just cant get it. and I dont think I ever will. Im sorry if this comment offended you.
    October 5th, 2008 at 08:14pm
  • Hellcat

    Hellcat (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    102
    Location:
    Bulgaria
    Kurti kinda just PWND you
    October 5th, 2008 at 07:50pm
  • shannonymous.

    shannonymous. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    I respect the Christians that keep their mouth shut and dont offend/hurt my friends.
    (:
    October 5th, 2008 at 07:43pm
  • Leonore Paisley

    Leonore Paisley (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    39
    Location:
    United States
    There's a difference between "I think your beliefs are silly," and "I think Christianity is silly."

    Huge difference. ;)
    October 5th, 2008 at 07:10pm
  • onewaytogo

    onewaytogo (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    Did you know only 2% of Christian and Catholic priests molest children?
    October 5th, 2008 at 06:47pm
  • Psyche Adrenaline

    Psyche Adrenaline (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    Right on.

    dead!insomniaque, Yeah, a lot of Christians are like that. I personally am not, along with a whole load of others. A lot of a Christians give the whole group a bad name.
    October 5th, 2008 at 06:47pm
  • dead!insomniaque

    dead!insomniaque (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    That's all true, but I do think it goes both ways in real life. Here, on mibba most of us are atheist, so it's like the norm to be afraid of God. But in real life, most people are Christian and do say things like atheists are stupid and Darwinism is all a load of crap.
    October 5th, 2008 at 06:32pm
  • Fine.China

    Fine.China (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    I completely agree. I'm not religious, but that doesn't mean that it's okay to go around and harass other people. I see this kind of stuff everyday, but only with Christianity. Someone I know told accused a christian of "molesting little boys" solely based off of the fact that he was christian. It's not fair to look at the people who blow up their religion and discriminate those who don't practice it, then think everyone's like that. There are people like that in every religion. I question why this usually only happens with Christianity.
    October 5th, 2008 at 05:58pm
  • Suds.

    Suds. (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    United States
    I've had issues with people (mostly Christians) trying to shove religion down my throat and trying to force me to believe in it. Now I won't categorize all Christians in one group, but some believe in it a little too much, enough to try and make people who don't believe, to believe.

    I don't want to insult anyone on Mibba because no person has tries to shove religion up my ass, which i am happy about.

    We all have freedom of speech, disagreeing and saying what you believe in isn't insulting unless you use some form stereotyping. Expressing differences should make people understand one another a little bit better. saying things like [i] your religion is stupid [/i] is insulting. Saying [i] I choose not to believe in that certain religion [/i] is a completely different story.
    October 5th, 2008 at 05:55pm
  • fool's paradise

    fool's paradise (1000)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    You tell em sistah!

    Coincidentally, I'm a Catholic.
    Which surpirses people.
    A lot of my friends are athiests and stuff, but I don't tell them how to live their lives and they don't do that to me.
    October 5th, 2008 at 05:51pm
  • tweezers.

    tweezers. (600)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    103
    Location:
    United States
    I agree so hard. Kudos for posting this. :D
    October 5th, 2008 at 05:25pm