Hamilton Reigns At Hockenheim

Hamilton Reigns At Hockenheim British F1 Racer, Lewis Hamilton is now the leader of the Formula One Drivers World Championship, after taking the chequered flag in an awe-inspiring German Grand Prix at the Hockenheimring.

Hamilton, who is one of the main contenders in the championship race, started on pole position, and quickly built up an eleven second lead over Ferrari's Felipe Massa, who was hampered with setup and handling difficulties, as well as his teammate, Kimi Raikkonen.

This, however, was not the only great bit of driving on the track- the short, twisty track enabled there to be scraps right down the field, some involving Button [Finished 17th], Bourdais [Finished 12th], Alonso [finished 11th].

The turning point in the race came when Timo Glock's Toyota's suspension failed on the start/finish straight, causing the driver to crash out of eight place in his home race. With bits of the TF108's carbon fibre body littering the track, the safety car was called into action, and most of the teams entered the pits to reap the strategic rewards. Hamilton's McLaren team, in contrast, didn't call him in to pit until well after the safety car period, pushing him down to fifth place in the race.

Some brilliant driving from Hamilton on his last stint allowed him to scythe through the field,and take the lead, passing Massa and Piquet with sensational moves at the hairpin.

After the race, McLaren team boss Ron Dennis apologised for “making [the race] harder” for Lewis Hamilton to win.

After this race, the championship is still open and undecided; but one thing is for certain- this is turning into one of the best Formula One seasons of recent times.

German Grand Prix Results:

  1. HAMILTON McLaren
  2. PIQUET Renault +5.5 seconds
  3. MASSA Ferrari +9.3s
  4. HEIDFELD BMW +9.8s
  5. KOVALAINEN McLaren +12.4s
  6. RAIKKONEN Ferrari +14.4s
  7. KUBICA BMW +22.6s
  8. VETTEL Toro Rosso +33.2s
  9. TRULLI Toyota +37.1s
  10. ROSBERG Williams +37.6s
  11. ALONSO Renault +38.6s
  12. BOURDAIS Toro Rosso +39.1s
  13. COULTHARD Red Bull +54.9s
  14. FISICHELLA Force India +59.0s
  15. NAKAJIMA Williams +60.0s
  16. SUTIL Force India +69.4s
  17. BUTTON Honda +1 lap

R. BARRICHELLO Honda +17 laps
R. WEBBER Red Bull +27 laps
R. GLOCK Toyota +32 laps

Fastest Lap of the Race:
Nick Heidfeld - 1m15.98s, on lap 52.

Latest articles