Dallas Stars Forward Suspended Six Games

Dallas Stars Forward Suspended Six Games 24-hours after his hearing at the NHL’s Manhattan offices, the verdict is in for Dallas Stars forward, Sean Avery. He has been suspended for six games, without pay, in light of inappropriate comments made at the expense of some of his fellow players. Avery has also agreed to a profession anger management evaluation, and if necessary, counseling.

Avery’s remarks were directed towards Dion Phaneuf, who is currently dating his ex-girlfriend, actress Elisha Cuthbert. The comment, deemed "detrimental to the League or game of hockey,” included a statement saying that Phaneuf was taking up his “sloppy seconds.” The suspension Avery received was imposed because it did not follow rules laid out in the NHL Constitution since it was about players’ personal lives rather than the game.

According to NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman, "Mr. Avery has expressed remorse for his recent comments and has sought a professional anger management evaluation. I will require that he follow through with that process as a condition of his returning to the ice and that he complies with any and all recommendations."

This isn’t the only time Avery has made questionable comments to the press. Back in October, he made a comment about other players being boring. After the comments were made, Dallas Stars coach, Dave Tippet, asked him not to speak to the press. Clearly, Avery did not follow this request.

Also according to Bettman, "Mr. Avery has been warned repeatedly about his conduct and comments, which have too often been at odds with the manner in which his more than 700 fellow players conduct themselves. Playing in the National Hockey League is a privilege, requiring a high standard of personal behavior. Mr. Avery forfeits that privilege for six games."

Avery has already missed two games, Tuesday’s game against the Calgary Flames, following the comments, and Wednesday’s game against The Edmonton Oilers. The first game he will be eligible to play is the home game on December 16 against the Phoenix Coyotes. For more information, visit the NHL’s website

Latest articles