NHL Enforcer Derek Boogaard Dies At Age 28

On May 13th, 2011, the NHL community was saddened to learn that 28-year old Derek Boogaard had passed away. The Saskatoon native was found dead in his Minneapolis apartment by family members late Friday.

Boogaard played for the Regina Pats, the Prince George Cougars and the Medicine Hat Tigers in his Major Junior Hockey career, in the WHL. He would record 9 points and 245 penalty minutes with the Prince George Cougars in the 2000-2001 WHL season. He was drafted 202nd overall in the 7th round, by the Minnesota Wild in the 2001 NHL Entry Draft.

Boogaard would go on to play four and a half seasons with the Wild. He tallied 2 goals and 492 penalty minutes. And although he was not a frequent goal-scorer, he became known as an enforcer. He was nicknamed the 'Boogeyman' and 'The Mountie', a clever nick name for a Canadian. In 2007, a survey of NHL players showed that Boogaard was the second most intimidating player in the NHL.

Boogaard finished up his NHL career with the New York Rangers, playing only 22 games in the season due to concussion problems.

The New York Rangers' GM Glen Sather issued a statement upon the news: "Derek was an extremely kind and caring individual. He was a very thoughtful person, who will be dearly missed by all those who knew him. We extend our deepest sympathies to his family, friends and teammates during this difficult time."

The Rangers weren't the only ones who were saddened by the death of the 'big 'ol teddy bear'. "He was way, way, way too young. If you knew him as a teammate and knew him as a guy off the ice, he was the kindest guy." said Wild goalie Josh Harding said. "He would have your back if anything bad happened, but he wasn't a mean, tough guy. He was a gentle giant; he was a big ol' teddy bear. My thoughts and prayers go to the family. He was a friend to everybody and definitely every body's going to miss him" he added.

"He was always in a good mood, laughing and joking around and enjoying the life." Fellow goal tender for the Wild Niklas Backstrom said. "Just a great, positive attitude."

The Minnesota Wild also offered a statement to offer sympathy to Boogaard's family: "Derek was a fan favorite during his five seasons with the Wild and will be greatly missed here in Minnesota and throughout the NHL. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the Boogaard family during this tragic time of loss."

The Minneapolis police will not offer much information on the death of Derek Boogaard. But the Hennepin County Medical Examiner's office said that an autopsy is pending to determine the cause of death.

Derek Boogaard will surely be missed.

Latest articles