Portugal: The Dark Horse

It would be foolish to say that Cristiano Ronaldo is not the best individual player in this Euro 2012. And it only helps Portugal's chances in the Group of Death - Group B. This team consists of two formidable forces - record 3-time winners Germany, former champions and World-Cup finalists Netherlands and '92 surprise champions in form of resurgent and unpredictable Denmark.

But it’s also not intelligent to limit Portugal's chances to the clinical winger. Another great winger whom Cristiano definitely wouldn't be able to do without is Luis Nani. Amazing support can also be found in attacking midfielder Raul Merieles.

The striker part is quite worrying too with no regular playing as striker.

Portugal's defense is, or at least was, regarded one of the best in the world though it has weakened quite a lot due to injuries and dips in form.

People have also called Ronaldo overrated and impractical since 2009,and true they may not be, but which may deliver serious blows to the Portuguese star's confidence, but they haven't shown till now at least as he has said famously, "Your love makes me strong. Your hate makes me unstoppable."

Being a Germany fan, however difficult I find it, writing off Paulo Bento's squad is not an option. Portugal has proven time and again that they are not the average team by knocking out favorites from Euro 2004 to reach the final and England from the World Cup 2006. I definitely wouldn't write them off in the presence of the man himself - Cristiano Ronaldo.

Latest articles