Money in Spanish football

La Liga is the currently best rated league in the world. This fact is hugely supported by the fact a lot of players from foreign countries come to play to Spain, because well, who’s dream isn’t playing for Barcelona or Real Madrid. There are four sorts of clubs in Spain when it comes to spending: “Barca and Real”, “Los Leones”, “Malaga CF” and “regular club”. Let’s start with

Regular clubs – the policy goes like this – they are sponsored by some firm. They use the firm’s sponsorship and money they get from TVs to get the players they want, most likely from other Spanish/Portugese club. The other way to spend the sponsor’s money is to raise their own talents who are expected to be playing in the next couple years, and then they will be sold. This kind of “money behavior” cannot cause any debts unless the team decides to build a new stadium or buy some expensive foreign (mostly French, English of South American) player. When this kind of club has a supreme player and decides to sell him, they can afford a super-expensive transfer, which isn't very common (for example Atlético Madrid - Aguero -> Falcao)

Malaga C.F. – aka the only team in Spain owned by a sheik. The new owner came from Qatar in 2010 and started to lead the club in different ways, which also included buying new sorta old but really famous foreign players (van Nistelrooy or Mathijsen). However, before this season, the owner cut the money going to the Anchovies (I know, stupid nickname, but I wasn’t the one to invent it..) and some of the players left the team. Anyway, the last line-up of MCF included names like Joaquin or Toulalan. They are also (after three matches played) on the third place of La Liga (3 points ahead Real Madrid)

Los Leones – Aka Athletic Club de Bilbao. This club has a very very strict policy when it comes to bringing new players to the team, since the players to join Athletic MUST come from the Basque country (have at least some Basque heritage (parents, grandparents)). The club’s rules are mostly seen as very sympathetic and proud. The club itself is very popular even in another countries and a lot of people admire the fact they even got the Europa league’s final last season. However, they destroyed their good manners by making Bayern Munich pay unbelievable money for the defensive midfielder Martinez, when the transfer was completed, crying about it and threatening Bayern with court (“We’re finding out if we could start a trial with Bayern regarding the transfer of J. Martinez).

Barcelona, Real Madrid – Last but not least – a thing that is totally true about this part of the article. They spend the most, that’s for absolutely sure. The important to say is they also earn the most, not only by league, but also the Champions league and some sort of commercials and other events they take part in. Therefore, they obviously have debts, but not so huge. Given that, they can afford spending 80 mil pounds on Ronaldo, or 40 mil € on Sanchez, Fabregas or Ibrahimovic. Which is not the best..

  • La Liga feels the money influence the most, but surprisingly it’s not coming from the obvious sheik threat like the Premier League, but simply from the fact there are Barcelona and Real Madrid. They have the best teams, therefore everybody wants to see them and other clubs don’t gain so much money from TV broadcasts (approximately 50% less than Real and Barca). The only other Spanish clubs that interest people are Valencia CF and Atlético Madrid
  • I'd like to say that even if the money makes a big difference, sometimes a match of regular clubs can be way better than El Clasico (Barca vs Real) and it's a shame that clubs like Sevilla, Villarreal, Deportivo, or Athletic don't get enough credit and recognition for their game.

(I'm sorry in any fact aren't completely correct, I've been using the Czech resources)

Latest articles