How to Fix the Lakers

The trading deadline comes up in February but with the play of the Los Angeles Lakers lately, the team might not want to wait until the deadline to make a move. Here are the moves that I would suggest offering and feel would benefit all teams mentioned.


Option 1A


Lakers receive:

  • SF/PF Josh Smith ($13,200,000)
  • PG Jeff Teague ($2,433,077)
  • SG/SF Kyle Korver ($5,000,000)

Hawks receive:

  • C Dwight Howard ($19,536,360)
  • PG Darius Morris (962,195)

$20,633,077 vs. $20,498,555


The chemistry between Kobe and Howard are nonexistent. Both players are used to being “The Man” on their teams and have obviously butted heads this season. With Howard only having a year left on his contract, and Kobe being a lifetime Laker, it would be a lot easier to move Howard. Josh Smith has been rumored to being on the outs when it comes to the Hawks management and a swap of all-star level talent could be a good move for both teams. Korver would spread the floor in Mike D’Antoni’s system. Teague and Smith would be a very significant upgrade in the defense as well as being able to get their own shots. The Hawks would get an elite center for a position that is dying out in the NBA. They already have a solid group of guys on the bench. Both teams starters could look like this…

Lakers

PG Nash PG Teague
SG Kobe SG Meeks
SF Metta SF Korver
PF Smith PF Jamison
C Gasol C Sacre

Hawks

PG D. Harris PG L. Williams
SG Jenkins SG Morrow
SF D. Stevenson
PF Horford PF I. Johnson
C Howard C Pachulia

The only thing bringing down this trade is Howard’s no-trade clause or in other words: “I’m going to be a diva again until I get to play for a great team.” I personally think he’s so sick of Kobe that he would be happy to get out of L.A. and to a team that’s above a 500 record. If that’s not the case I have option 1b…


Option 1B


Lakers receive:

  • SF/PF Josh Smith ($13,200,000)
  • PG Jeff Teague ($2,433,077)
  • SG/SF Kyle Korver ($5,000,000)

Hawks receive:

  • C Brook Lopez ($13,668,750)
  • SG MarShon Brooks ($1,160,040)
  • SF/PF Earl Clark ($1,240,000)
  • PF Mirza Teletovic ($3,090,000)
  • Net’s 1st round pick

Net’s receive:

  • C Dwight Howard (19,536,360)

$20,633,077 vs. $19,178,790 vs. $19,536,360


Lakers, Hawks, and Nets all draw pretty even when it comes to payroll. Each team is happy when it comes to the contracts they take on. The Net’s receive the elite center in the NBA while also maintaining their core players. After last season where Howard said he’d only play for the Nets, this trade should work. The Lakers get the same plays as mentioned before with the same benefits. The only difference is that they give up a role player in Earl Clark that they wouldn’t need with Josh Smith. The Hawks aren’t getting the best talent in return but they are getting some good young talent in return and not having to risk Smith walking away and getting nothing. Lopez is an all-star talent and Brooks was considered a touted prospect last season but hasn’t played all that much for the Nets this season. The Hawks could also build in the draft with the extra first round draft pick they’d receive from the Nets. The Lakers would have the same lineup as previously listed but the Hawks would look like this…

Hawks

PG D. Harris G L. Williams
SG Jenkins G M. Brooks
SF D. Stevenson G/F Morrow
PF Horford PF I. Johnson
C B. Lopez C Pachulia

Nets

PG D. Williams PG Watson
SG J. Johnson SG Bogans
SF G. Wallace SF Stackhouse
PF Evans PF Humprhies
C Howard C Blatche

After the Howard trade is all said and done, the Lakers now have an issue of too many guards on their team and an issue of a good, big man who would be a role player but with good minutes each night.


Option 2


Lakers receive:

  • PF Paul Millsap ($8,603,633)
  • SG Raja Bell ($3,480,000)

Jazz receive:

  • PG Steve Nash ($8,900,000)
  • SF Devin Ebanks ($1,054,389)

$12,083,633 vs. $9,954,389


My next move as the Lakers GM is to get rid of Steve Nash. He does not have the types of players on his team where he has the ball in his hands and can drive and dish. The Lakers are not built on cutters and running up and down the court. Even if they did have these types of guys, it’s hard not to say that Nash has slowed down a lot and his defense is really a liability at this point. With the emergence of Derrick Favors, it seems as if Millsap is somewhat expendable. The Jazz had a real good player in Mo Williams at PG but after his injury they now have Jamaal Tinsley running the show. Nash would be a major upgrade over Tinsley and might help catapult the Jazz even higher and a guaranteed spot in the playoffs. Millsap would provide a scorer and defender for the Lakers second unit. He could be the guy the offense runs through in the second unit. His defense is also pretty solid if they needed him in crunch time and could play him over Gasol. Raja Bell is just a guy that Kobe would feel great about adding with his defensive minded attitude. The new lineups being…

Lakers

PG J. Teague PG Duhon/Blake
SG Kobe SG Meeks/Bell
SF Metta SF Korver
PF J. Smith PF Jamison
C Gasol C Millsap

Jazz

PG Nash PG Tinsley
SG Foye SG Hayward
SF M. Williams SF Carroll
PF Favors F J. Evans
C Jefferson C Kanter

In each trade, the other teams are getting something out of it. The Jazz gain a starting point guard that they need to solidify themselves as a playoff contender. The Nets could gain Howard who they tried to trade for last offseason or the Hawks could gain either Howard or Lopez and add an all-star talent center to play alongside Horford.

My priority as the Lakers general manager is to make the Lakers a better team. The types of players that the Lakers would like to add are simply not out there. The previously mentioned trades are moves I think the Lakers need to make. The chemistry problems with Kobe and Howard are only going to leave to a lost season and Howard walking away in free agency. The team should get something for him now and add pieces to hopefully make a playoff push this season. The overall trades made allow for a chance at new team chemistry. The team also gets better defensively and gains players that would play better in D’Antoni’s system. Players like Smith, Teague, Millsap, and Korver are not players that need to have the ball in their hands every play. They could defer to Kobe in the half-court offense but run when it’s called for. The Lakers don’t have to throw in the towel for this season but unless changes are made in all likelihood they will not make the playoffs this season.

Latest articles