Disrespectful And Rude Children - Comments

  • itsKatastrophe.

    itsKatastrophe. (145)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    God, I totally agree. I can't stand hearing little kids cry and whine over nothing. I mean yeah, we all did it when we were little, but most of us got in BIG trouble when we did. Parents today are a little to lenient, and I personally think it is because parents try to be their kids friends and not their parents. Save that for when their eighteen and no longer living under your roof.

    I also know what it's like, because I have a 2 year old niece and she whines CONSTANTLY, and my mother just lets her get away with it. My sister however, does not tolerate it, so I can imagine the confusion.
    September 12th, 2009 at 08:22pm
  • skarsgard.

    skarsgard. (450)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    Spanking isn't child abuse, but it shouldn't be the first option. I was spanked only a couple times as a child. I am not scarred for life, but I do know right from wrong.
    September 12th, 2009 at 08:01pm
  • Frozen Delight.

    Frozen Delight. (450)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    46
    Location:
    United States
    See personally I think spanking can be over-doneor done just right. When I was young, my parents tried giving me time-out, taking away toys etc. but when that didn't work they wouldn't hit me...theyd turn me over on their legs, and spank me hard enough to get the point across but not enough to hurt me at all. I don't believe spanking should be a first option, but if nothing else has worked then a small spanking might get the point across. After two or three spankings I knew that when my mother said shut-the-hell-up she meant it.
    September 12th, 2009 at 07:07pm
  • oh comely.

    oh comely. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    This made me sick. Like, really. I was hit as a kid, abuse which was disguised as dicipline. Now, I'm not saying that all parents who spank their children are like mine, but regardless, people should take into account the mental effect things like that have on children. If you hit an adult, you'd be arrested. But seeing as it's your child, that apparently makes it okay in a lot of peoples' eyes. Well, not mine. Hitting a child is no different to physically assaulting an adult or a child that isn't your own.

    Children learn through learnt behaviour. They copy things. I know a lot of children who were spanked from a young age and who are now in trouble with the law, teachers, other kids etc. because they think it's okay to hit someone else when they don't do what they want them to.

    Violence won't get rid of violence. You need to ignore the bad and praise the good. Children learn things a lot faster that way. Spanking without giving a reason or explanation as to why you're punishing the child is wrong as well. Most children, especially younger ones, (I'm talking from toddlers up to about eight years here,) won't understand that what they're doing is wrong. They won't understand that it's a punishment because they haven't had that explained to them by their parents. They jsut get a smack for what they see as no reason.

    Plus, children thrive on attention. Smacking a child or shouting at it gives it exactly what it wants. Ignore them when they throw tantrums and stamp their feet and scream because of silly things. They'll lose interest and start behaving again, eventually.
    September 12th, 2009 at 06:52pm
  • Wind In Your Hair.

    Wind In Your Hair. (105)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    Agh. Articles like these make me feel sympathy for my parents-I was the most ill behaved child anyone could have imagined. From biting to kicking, screaming to crying, if I didn't get what I wanted, there would be a huge fit.

    At first, my parents would send me to my room. Maybe a good talking to, but it didn't do much. Then, when they got sick of it, they started to fight back. If I bit them, they'd do it back. If I kicked my door for hours on end, they would simply take it down.

    I'm grateful for their parenting, and happy they took the steps to teach me how to behave. I am sure to do the same to my kid if I'm ever unlucky enough to face a child like myself in the future.
    September 12th, 2009 at 05:46pm
  • It's In The Blood.

    It's In The Blood. (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    You've also got to take into account the personality of the child. Maybe smacking works with some children, but there are many, many more that it doesn't work for. Some children will just hit other children - learning by example. Some children will just hate the parent that hit them.
    September 12th, 2009 at 12:44pm
  • evie may.

    evie may. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    New Zealand
    A child doesn't misbehave because they've never been spanked before. A child acts out because their parents let them.
    September 12th, 2009 at 09:38am
  • HayleeLuvsJB

    HayleeLuvsJB (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    35
    Location:
    United States
    Spanking a child in public is wrong and you were wrong for doing that! Yes throwing a tantrum is bad but you humiliated your cousins child and should be ashamed of your self. Child Abuse is NEVER the answer, your cousin will live with what you did for the rest of her life, can you live with that.
    September 12th, 2009 at 06:46am
  • Dreams.of.Someday

    Dreams.of.Someday (900)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    I agree with George Ryan Ross.
    September 12th, 2009 at 06:44am
  • Airi.

    Airi. (2240)

    :
    NaNoWriMo 2016
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    I don't believe in spanking a child.
    Their are better ways to teach them then to spank them. Spanking shouldn't be your first resort. Ever. There are much better ways.
    And children as young as six, it's normal for them to throw tantrums
    September 12th, 2009 at 05:46am
  • Midnight Ruby

    Midnight Ruby (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    102
    Location:
    United States
    When i was younger i would never do shit like that I have only been spanked by mother about three or four times in my life and those three or four times taught me when to shut the hell up
    September 12th, 2009 at 04:57am
  • nutmeg-smithy-165

    nutmeg-smithy-165 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    United States
    whoopi goldberg said that if you do it right you only need to hit a child once so they never do anything bad again. i believe this.
    when i was little maybe around 3 or 4 i was at k-mart with my mom. i was acting up and being impossible. when we got to the car i would always climb in head first. my mom smack me on the butt so hard that i land on the other side of the car. she then told me i will always have to get into the car with her. i never acted up in a store again after that.
    i also had a high pitched screech. my mom would tap my mouth with 2 fingers to make me stop. that would get me so mad but i eventually stopped because it annoyed me.
    i think some kids deserve a good swift kick in the butt. but nowadays you have to worry about Child Protective Services because children will report their own parents and grandparents(my cousin did this).
    kids are so impossible and don't care how they act. they are too spoiled and their parents are idiots for letting their kids treat them like shit.
    September 12th, 2009 at 04:47am
  • Bad Luck.

    Bad Luck. (450)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    92
    Location:
    Canada
    @[b]xLipsLikeSugar[/b] That might be okay with you, but everyone is different and everyone has a different way of caring for their child.
    September 12th, 2009 at 04:45am
  • Bad Luck.

    Bad Luck. (450)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    92
    Location:
    Canada
    * Also, just to suggest an idea: perhaps you could have taken the parents' point of view into this. Perhaps they work a lot, and are too stressed to deal with their screaming child. I know that a lot of parents work full-time, but when I was little my mother worked part-time to stay home with my sister and me more. And back in my grandparents' time, I think that only the father worked and the mother stayed home with the kids. There's that to take into account, don't forget.

    I'm just saying that there are more points to look at other than placing all of the blame on the parents.
    September 12th, 2009 at 04:43am
  • Drink Me.

    Drink Me. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    Yemen
    @ Bad Luck I honestly don't think spanking a children could scar them for life. Now if you are going to an extreme spanking then maybe. I was spanked as a child, i'm not scarred, i understand now that it was to teach me right from wrong and if I would have gotten a time out or a " stern talking to" that wouldn't have set me straight
    September 12th, 2009 at 04:40am
  • K_atie.

    K_atie. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    Canada
    I agree that a 4 year old telling their grandpa to f' off is a lot out of hand but six year olds will have tantrums and maybe their parents will punish them when they get home. But since I am assuming you don't have kids I don't think you should be complaining about this.
    September 12th, 2009 at 04:36am
  • Bad Luck.

    Bad Luck. (450)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    92
    Location:
    Canada
    @[b]xLipsLikeSugar[/b] I've read the total opposite, that spanking scars a child for life. But that could have been exaggerated because my source was a Dear Abby column.
    September 12th, 2009 at 04:34am
  • Drink Me.

    Drink Me. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    Yemen
    I cannot believe so many people are against spankings. that's why we have bad children in this world! People just will not punish their child for a wrong doing and so children never learn.
    September 12th, 2009 at 04:34am
  • Bad Luck.

    Bad Luck. (450)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    92
    Location:
    Canada
    I don't necessarily agree with spanking, but if there were some other way, more stern than just a time-out or a talking-to, to discipline children nowadays. I agree, so many kids are [i]so[/i] disrespectful. I'm astonished that parents let them get away with some of the things they do. Like one time, I tried to give my cousin a time-out for something I thought was wrong and he spat in my face and ran away. Seriously, the lack of respect is just... shocking.

    I think parents are just afraid that if they discipline the child a certain way, it could be considered abuse. I think that's so stupid. Like the minute you touch a child and make them cry, it's abuse. I disagree with spanking, but if they know that something like that is a consequence, I think it would make them think twice (that's kind of how I was raised). But I think that people these days are scared of being accused of child abuse, when back when my parents were kids it was hardly a huge problem and they grew up fine. That's not to speak for everyone, but still. I don't think that a 2-minute time-out or "taking away computer time" is hardly enough discipline. But they're not my kids, so I can't really do anything about it.

    Nice article, it was well-written. :)
    September 12th, 2009 at 04:33am
  • Drink Me.

    Drink Me. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    Yemen
    It's the parents fault! They don't take control of their children, they let them run around doing what they want. I live next to a foster home and that lady doesn't give two sh!ts about those kids just the money she is getting and lets them do whater the hell they want, so what do they do? cause trouble around the neighborhood. I'm pro-spanking! It's not like you are beating your child and even my Child development teacher said spanking is a good method to use when a child has done something really bad.
    September 12th, 2009 at 04:32am