Disrespectful And Rude Children - Comments

  • Perfectly Imperfect

    Perfectly Imperfect (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    I think spanking is wrong. That a stern time out will fix the problem. And I believe every parent goes through temper tantrums. They are apart of childhood.
    September 12th, 2009 at 03:50am
  • Flabbergast

    Flabbergast (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I really don't think the author is saying that when your kid acts up, that you should spank/hit/etc them. She is just trying to get the point across that you shouldn't let your kids get away with everything, and they should be disciplined.

    Nice article btw :] Good points
    September 12th, 2009 at 03:16am
  • Farce.

    Farce. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I was never spanked. That doesn't mean I didn't act up. But now I act perfectly polite. There's no need to spank if you raised the child right from the beginning. Whose fault is it that you have to spank in the first place? The parents, who should have had a firm talking to with that child the first time it ever happened.
    September 12th, 2009 at 03:06am
  • Farce.

    Farce. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I give this article a thumbs down! Spanking. Come on! Hitting isn't the answer. Times have changed.
    September 12th, 2009 at 03:04am
  • cruciatus.

    cruciatus. (455)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    I was raised to be respectful and not throw hissy fits like that. I work at a grocery store, and have seen it many times, and it [i]always[/i] annoys the crap out of me when parents just say 'if you shut up, I'll get you the candy,' or 'Fine, we'll have what [i]you[/i] want for dinner.
    September 12th, 2009 at 02:30am
  • thirty whacks;

    thirty whacks; (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Australia
    I don't really believe in corporal punishment. My mum used to smack me in the face everytime I did something wrong. My behavior only got worst because hitting me did not teach me any disipline at all. It just taught me to be scared shitless of my own mother.
    September 12th, 2009 at 02:30am
  • A.U.T.O.M.A.T.I.C

    A.U.T.O.M.A.T.I.C (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    also it wasn't child abuse at all. i acted like an ass in public and deserved it. but was never hit in public. and hitting children isn't abuse. smanking them around and not feeding them is abuse. learn the difference people. also if their young then well they don't know better yet. but i'm talking about the 6/7 year olds around cursing.
    September 12th, 2009 at 02:24am
  • A.U.T.O.M.A.T.I.C

    A.U.T.O.M.A.T.I.C (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    i remember being young*sighs* hated it! forget corners. and spankings. we got whooping(with belts) and if we were really bad we had to stand on one foot with our arms out( like an airplane) for minutes. back then i hated it, but now thinking back i was glad my did did that to us. it taught me manners and how to act in public. i see girls at school with their bellys showing and everytime they sit down you see ass crack. and i think i'm 15 years old and so are they. i don't even act like that. i wear pants that fit and shirts that if i raise up my arms and i can't see my belly button fight just right. why do they act this way. were they brought up to disrespect their parents and teachers. today a student cussed out a teacher because she didn't pick up his paper right away. are perents not ashamed of how their children represent them in public places? no, their not. because i seen some parents act just as bad as their child.there are some good or extreamly great parents, there are people who raise their children the right way and i give them props. they know they did something right when their child becomes a docter and not a baby mama/daddy. i love this article. and i honestly think some parents should desipline their children more.
    September 12th, 2009 at 02:17am
  • Sheriff G. Way

    Sheriff G. Way (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    Canada
    while I think that yes, rude children are horrible, I am strongly against spankings. I was raised in a country where corporal punishment is a widely accepted and to be honest, expected form of punishment, and I feel very strongly that any form of hitting, whether it's just a spanking or a golf club to the head, should be frowned upon in society.
    September 12th, 2009 at 02:04am
  • courier six

    courier six (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I think it's sad how kids these days are not being respectful to their parents. When I was little, in 4th grade I think , I learned a new word, said word being "Idiot", and being little I didn't know what it meant exactly, and I called my older brother an idiot. I was in so much trouble. I found out what it meant and I never did it again.

    And I laugh at those kids who have parents who act as if their kid didn't do anything when they clearly did or who reward them for stoping the tantrum they were throwing. I think, if they had parents like mine, they'd know what was good for them and not throw tantrums....
    September 12th, 2009 at 01:44am
  • Gerard Way;;

    Gerard Way;; (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    Canada
    I know I'm an angel. (:
    September 12th, 2009 at 12:31am
  • Tlisia

    Tlisia (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    I work in a court and have worked as a teacher in a secondary (high) school, and I've seen the results of both neglect and over-discipline. They are honestly as bad as each other. Sadly, behavioural problems are often as a result of the upbringing: not necessarily the parent's fault, but the environment, the friends and the schools all have a resounding impact. Either can result in the violent behaviour that characterises today's society. A balance has to be found between weak discipline and over discipline, much like the threat you mentioned at the petrol station of time alone in a room, that both teaches children manners yet doesn't subdue them so entirely that it affects them badly later on.
    Personally, I'd say an immediate spanking for a child throwing a tantrum is over-discpline. There has to be the verbal communication first, that what a child is doing is wrong, for if they aren't told how are they to know? It's said that we have to hear something 27 times before it's properly imbedded in our memories. A small child can't be expected to know right from wrong, and all the insouicances therein from birth. Immediate and harsh corporal punishment will only lead them to confusion, bewilderment and fear that may well lead to either rebellion or the subduing of their personalities in a world that already is discouraging creativity and originality in the young. Not to mention the disollution of the relationship with the party delivering what the child must see as 'unjust' punishment, that it cannot understand.
    I'm not saying it's never right. If the child persists in it's behaviour after being told how wrong it is (within a few minutes following an initial warning) then yes, perhaps it is right to deliver a harsher form of discipline, that reflects both the misbehaviour and the lack of respect to authority.
    September 12th, 2009 at 12:18am
  • mayday

    mayday (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    Agreed.
    September 12th, 2009 at 12:07am
  • StayPerfect

    StayPerfect (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    I work in a supermarket so I see a lot of this, or should I say hear a lot of it. I've seen two really bad ones where the child is screaming "I want it!" and crying. I don't feel sorry for the kid [or really the parent] I just want to them to shut up. It's embarrassing for the parent, especially in the shop since everyone is judging you on how good a parent you are or not, and eveyone is talking about it.
    My mum would just have to point at me and I would stop throwing a tantrum. I slightly disagree with Thorazine Dreams. Yes it is bad to hit a child but it doesn't encourage bad violent children. I was smacked as a kid and I'm polite and well behaved, I'm not violent or rude. That might be the way with some people not all.
    I'm doing a childcare course and even time outs and naughty steps are being frowned apon now, because they either don't work or it is not good for the child's mentality. Tantrums are best left alone and ignored, the child will soon get the picture that they are not getting the attention they want.
    [/rant]
    September 11th, 2009 at 11:40pm
  • Thorazine Dreams

    Thorazine Dreams (300)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    Canada
    Spanking a child is not okay. That just teaches the child violent behavior, there is a reason corporal punishment is illegal where I live. You can reprimand the child using words, time outs and taking toys away until they decide to behave. My family has never EVER used spankings or other forms of violent reprimands on the younger children of the family and they all turned out to be polite well behaved children. The best way to teach a child to be polite is rewards in the form of praise when they do something good, and non-violent punishment when they are bad. Its learned in the most basic psychology courses. And also public spankings can be very embarrassing and can actually cause problems with the child's self worth in the later years of childhood.
    September 11th, 2009 at 11:23pm
  • The Door Knobs Bite

    The Door Knobs Bite (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    One time my dad was talking about my older sister when she was little. He said she'd throw temper tantrums and stomp around the house. What he did was make he stomp on a board outside so everyone would hear her. She eventually stopped. She didn't need to be hit just embarressed a little.
    September 11th, 2009 at 09:37pm
  • Olivia Colby

    Olivia Colby (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    My mother taught me young that throwing a fit will get me nowhere. She would just ignore me. And now I know that if my mom says no to me, she means it. If I want something that she doesn't want to buy, I buy it myself.

    There are plenty of ways to discipline children without resorting to violence. I, personally, think that spanking a child is wrong. It's a new time, where spanking your child is frowned upon, especially in public. I don't think anyone benefits from a spanking. The child is embarrassed, the parent looks like a bad tempered person, and everyone around them will feel awkward shopping until the parent/child in question leaves.

    In the end, you'll believe what you want.
    September 11th, 2009 at 09:36pm
  • Jace Lightwood

    Jace Lightwood (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    35
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    I work in a nursery so in the case of tantrums, we put them on a carpeted area where they cannot hurt themselves and let them get on with it whilst tending to other children. But we don't have any children who talk so rudely; I would be mortified if one of the children I look after said anything like that, nevermind parents themselves.
    September 11th, 2009 at 09:26pm
  • vaporwave

    vaporwave (160)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    Canada
    Well-written, but the tone of the writing was a little bit... Pretentious? That's not quite it, but you seem to think that you're better than everyone with the tone.
    September 11th, 2009 at 09:26pm
  • gloss my eyes;

    gloss my eyes; (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Switzerland
    There is definitely a fine line between disciplining your kids or downright abusing them, and it's certainly easy to tell the difference. I don't really believe in hitting, but that's because I was abused by a person close to me when I was younger. Spanking, I suppose, is in it's nature discipline, but at the same time spanking shouldn't be the ONLY form of discipline a parent has. There IS such a thing as too much spanking, as well.
    September 11th, 2009 at 09:08pm