Michael Phelps Suspended?

Michael Phelps Suspended? USA Swimming has decided to suspend American swimmer and 8-time Olympic gold medalist, Michael Phelps, from competitive swimming for three months.
Pictures of Phelps smoking marijuana at a student party at the University of South Carolina surfaced earlier this year. He later publicly apologized for his actions.

As a result, USA Swimming has chosen to withdraw its financial support for Phelps for the time being. The organization has released a statement saying, "We decided to send a strong message to Michael because he disappointed so many people, particularly the hundreds of thousands of USA Swimming member kids who look up to him as a role model and hero." Kellogg has also decided to not renew Phelps' advertising contract after it expires at the end of this month.

Although, it's not all bad news for the swimmer, who currently holds 7 world records. The United States Olympic Committee, as well as many of his sponsors, such as Speedo, Omega, and Visa, have decided to back him up.

As of now, it has not been decided yet on whether or not Phelps will be charged for his crime.

Will his mistake cost him his career, image, and not to mention, his endorsements, which some say could accumulate to be worth $100 million?

Or will the public overlook his wrongdoing and continue to view him as a positive role model?

Latest articles