NHL All-Star Ballot, Where's Seguin?

Every year the NHL hosts the All-Star Game, a fun time of year for the players around the Leagues as well as the fans. Recently the fan ballots opened up on NHL.com, sporting a lot of the fan favorites. However, scrolling through the ballot you will notice one of he League's hottest stars (no pun intended) isn't on it. Tyler Seguin,19, of the Boston Bruins isn't featured on this year's ballot and made a brief appearance for the Rookies last year, understandably.

Last season, the highlight of his career came at the tail end of the season in Round 3 of the Stanley Cup Final Playoffs where he managed to put up 3 goals and 4 assists, to help lead his team to victory. This season, his talent has carried over and he is taking off, there's no sophomore slump or cup hangover for this kid. In 18 games he has managed to get 11 goals and ten assists and leads the team and League with a +17 rating. He is one assist away from tying his career high from last season of 11 goals, 11 assists in 74 games played. We can all agree, this kid is destined for greatness and is going to have a breakout season. Isn't this what you would want in a player for your All-Star game?

Instead we have fan favorites like Sidney Crosby making the ballot, who has been out since January 2011 with a concussion and has registered no points, assists or even a game played. While I understand the favoritism, the guy isn't even back to the game yet, so how can we put him on the ballot?

Or take a look at teammate Nathan Horton, another fan favorite in Boston. The guy had a great season last year registering 26 goals and 27 assists and a +29 rating. This season, 6 goals and 7 assists with a -1 rating. While I understand the season is still early, these are things we have to look at.

How can we call the All-Star game, the best of the best players from around the League, when we have guys like Crosby and Horton making it, who aren't even the League's top players right now. Yet, we have a young gun like Seguin, having a breakout season, and is a team leader as well as one of the League's top players (#2 in +/- rating, #12 in points).

Fans need to get together and make their voices heard, just like Pittsburgh fans did with defense-man Kris Letang last year. The fans voted him in, causing him to be the #1 voted defense-man on the ballot. This is where YOUR voice matters. If you agree that Seguin should be on the ballot, go to theAll-Star Ballot and write-in Tyler Seguin. Give this kid a chance.

Latest articles