Green Bay Packers Star Announces Retirement

Green Bay Packers Star Announces Retirement Quite possibly one of the greatest players to have played the sport of football. One of the most well-known names out there. Brett Favre, age 38, decides to call it a career and retire from the sport, shocking the Packers, and also many sports fans.

He talked to Packers coach Mike McCarthy on Monday, and finalized his decision on Tuesday. He has still yet to address reporters himself.

Favre made his NFL debut with the Atlanta Falcons on October 27, 1991. He was traded to Green Bay on February 10, 1992. Throughout his career, he had faced many personal issues off the field.He battled an addiction to pain killers in 1996. In December of 2003, his father suddenly died right before a game against the Oakland Raiders. As one of the most memorable games for him, he threw for 399 yards and 4 touchdowns. His wife is a survivor of breast cancer. He lost his brother-in-law in an ATV accident shortly after his wife had gotten over the cancer. He has also had family members survive hurricane Katrina.

Brett has led the Packers to one Super Bowl championship in 1997, and in 2007, he broke many NFL records. Some of those records include most career touchdown passes, most career victories by a starting quarterback and most career yards passing. He also holds the record for most consecutive starts at 253. Factoring in playoff starts, the number rests at 275. He also holds the NFL record for most career interceptions, at 288.

Other moments in his successful career include three league MVP awards, and he was a 9 time Pro-Bowl selection. Some of his career stats include 61,665 passing yards, 8,758 pass attempts, 5,377 completions, 442 touchdown passes, and 160 wins as starting QB.

However, the final pass of his career is an interception to the New York Giants-setting up their winning field goal-in the NFC championship game. With his retirement final, Packers fans will no longer endure the wonders of possible retirement, which has happened in previous years as Brett would contemplate retirement. Well, no more contemplating, meaning no more fans being left wondering at the end of a Packers season.

Latest articles