12 year old commits suicide - Emo trend is blamed - Comments

  • PandaMouse

    PandaMouse (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Location:
    United States
    My apologies if I sound mean, but I swear, that girl must have been kind of stupid to do that. No matter how hard life gets, it's better to keep living it in hopes that it will get better than to just give in entirely. I know it's hard to keep telling yourself that, since I have to myself, but it's do-able.
    I blame the parents...
    Parents obviously can't raise their kids anymore if so many of them are falling victim to things like "trends".
    And I am actually a person who strongly believes that "Emo" is now a stereotype. Sure, it is a form of music originally, but as long as people are using the word "Emo" to define themselves and others, then it does categorize people and therefore makes it a label. Saying that the "Emo" stereotype doesn't exist and is "a form of music and that is all" is just denile, or accepted ignorance; either one of those two...
    Still. What the hell is wrong with the world nowadays. Suicide has always happened, sure, but now it's like... "cool" to kill yourself. -__-
    And there ARE people out there who do this crap for "fashion", I know because I knew a person like that, who was really proud of cutting themselves and always showed off their slit wrists and was always trying to determine whether or not her friends were "Emo" or not. It's ridiculous.
    The human race is filled with dumbshits... my apologizes, but it's true...
    May 16th, 2008 at 04:11am
  • kemiklieromansed

    kemiklieromansed (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    What's very scary is the fact that kids are actually taking this "emo" stereotype very seriously nowadays. o_o

    Emo can very much pull you and warp you, it's especially happening to pre-teens, teens, etc.

    It's something that now, cannot be ignored, because of how much depth these preteens & teens have gone into.

    It's sad, because they don't need to do this. It's silly, because it's becoming something extremely serious. I don't know if I can just call emo a stereotype now.

    Because it's ruining children's lives, making them feel they must self-harm because they are either depressed or feel they must do that to fit in.
    May 16th, 2008 at 04:00am
  • Chain Me Free

    Chain Me Free (130)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    Suicide has always happened except only the people who dressed "emo" get publisized. Like I said about the little nine year old.
    May 16th, 2008 at 03:59am
  • fountainhead

    fountainhead (250)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    This 'emo' trend is a shit.
    I know whoever started it probably didn't want or think that this was going to happen, but it's gone way too far now.
    May 16th, 2008 at 03:46am
  • Synyster Lisa

    Synyster Lisa (400)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    36
    Location:
    United States
    THis is insane! It's extremely sad, but now it seems like suicide is becoming a trend. What the hell is wrong with people in the world today? I hope eyes begin to open and people start talking about how trends aren't important, and how stereotypes should just be ignored.
    May 16th, 2008 at 03:42am
  • V. Valo

    V. Valo (105)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    ... NOT AGAAAAAAAAIN!!!
    May 16th, 2008 at 03:28am
  • aimless_ramble

    aimless_ramble (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    R U FUCKIN KIDINN ME?!
    im sorry but this is absolutely ridiculous!!!
    what the fuck is wrong with ppl? NO ONE and
    i repeat no one is gonning to kill themself over a
    damn 'trend'. there was clearly something wrong
    that goes WAY deeper then a trend.
    May 16th, 2008 at 03:20am
  • MentalCase.

    MentalCase. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    No offence, but this seems really stereotyped to me. Its all being blamed on her being "emo". THERE IS NO DEFINITION FOR EMO. I dont know how many times I have to say it. Just because she wears all black and she wears converse doesn't mean shes emo. I wear converse and dark colors. Am I emo? No. It's just a style of music. If you really want to get technical, every single person on the earth is emo, because emo stands for emotional. Not many people live without emotions, no matter how much they show them.
    May 16th, 2008 at 03:05am
  • God Save The Queen

    God Save The Queen (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I don't beleive this. Now, I'm not for being suicidal, but i do feel that this is all wrong. Emo doesn't promote self harm; it's not like "Hey, come be emo and be suicida; with us!" It's a trend that kids turn to when their life seems pretty sucky. The style isn't to blame, it's the life of the child as well as their mental stability and ability to hold their own. I'm not dissing the writer, just whoever said that the "Emo Cult Trend" was to blame. Because the Emo trend that teens follow, is the one of music and fashion. It simply decifers musical interest and style, not life and death.
    May 16th, 2008 at 02:57am
  • Vonnegut.

    Vonnegut. (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Puerto Rico
    Oh no, not this again. Ugh.
    May 16th, 2008 at 02:56am
  • Chain Me Free

    Chain Me Free (130)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    vampirEwitcH13 - Peple always have sadly when I was in second grade a little nine year old in forth grade killed himself because of his parents divorce and he thought it was his fault. His sister found him she was in I think eighth grade at the time.
    It's been happening all the time but now they have found something else to blame it on.
    We had a journal at school about this and around 15% of teenage girls have wanted to commint suicide along with 5% of boys.
    May 16th, 2008 at 02:55am
  • BEEWILD3R.

    BEEWILD3R. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    Seriously people, this trend you call 'EMO' doesn't exist. i'm sorry to burst your little bubble, but it NEVER did. This is just something stupid, immature kids like to brand themselves as to get attention. I'm so sick of hearing this term, it's really overrated. I don't care if I get a bunch of hatemail or whatever, but what this girl did was idiotic and stupid.
    May 16th, 2008 at 02:39am
  • Coin-Operated Angel

    Coin-Operated Angel (600)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    And it's unfortunate that this will be the girl's legacy she leaves on the world. Fashion statement? Depression is not like Coach or Uggs kiddies. and if the girl really was depressed and felt she was pressured into "being a burden" then it's even sadder.
    May 16th, 2008 at 02:39am
  • Coin-Operated Angel

    Coin-Operated Angel (600)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    ugh. This is beginning to piss me off. Emo isn't anything! It's just someone someone made up a few years ago!
    now, another little girl's life just went down the tube, pushed off as a "fashion" statement by her peers and the media.
    And this, my friends, is why I hate society.
    May 16th, 2008 at 02:35am
  • castle.

    castle. (2000)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    Canada
    Agree with xXxLandhermiexXx
    May 16th, 2008 at 02:29am
  • rumbleroar

    rumbleroar (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    This is so sad. Teens today are killing themselves younger and younger. And the whole 'emo' thing. Emo is, as Heaven Help Us said, a form of music. If her mother really did think she was a burden there's your clue as to why she killed herself. It's just so sad that such young people and anyone is killing themselves.
    May 16th, 2008 at 02:27am
  • Frankee

    Frankee (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    New Zealand
    The publicity that was made during the last event, has caused for a copy cat. :grr:
    May 16th, 2008 at 02:26am
  • Dreams.of.Someday

    Dreams.of.Someday (900)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    Perfectly happy people would NOT commit suicide just for a trend. There is more to these stories. I just know it. Also, MCR is 100% AGAINST suicide and self-harm.
    May 16th, 2008 at 02:22am
  • Heaven Help Us

    Heaven Help Us (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    this is just stupid, it's not 'emo'
    emo is a form of music and a type of fashion
    *shakes head* why do kids these days have to be so dumb?
    May 16th, 2008 at 02:19am
  • Chain Me Free

    Chain Me Free (130)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    "Stupid mislead people kill and cut themselves not emos..."- my friends laughed at me when I said that, but it is true.
    This is stupid I have never heard of suicide being "cool" and "trendy". Preps and other people at my school listen to "emo" music and look none of us have killed ourselves! The girl probably did it because of a different reason. ever thought of that? People who listen to rap and hip-hop kill themselves every day but do we ever hear about that? No we don't and why? Because people want to blame something unfamiliar, different, or something else, because [i]they[/i] don't want to admit that [i]they[/i] are at fault and [i]they[/i] could have done something about it but [i]they[/i] didn't.
    May 16th, 2008 at 02:19am